Saturday, February 23, 2019

Week 8 Review: The Boomerang Effect

From Goodreads:
It all started with a harmless prank. But now high school junior (and resident stoner) Lawrence Barry is one step away from reform school unless he participates in a mentorship program. His mentee? Spencer Knudsen, a Norwegian exchange student with Spock-like intelligence but the social skills of the periodic table. 

Then disaster strikes—Homecoming week. When someone dressed as the school Viking mascot starts destroying the fairy tale–inspired floats, all suspicion falls on Lawrence. Add to the mix a demon Goth girl named Zoe, a Renaissance LARPing group, an overzealous yearbook editor, and three vindictive chickens, and Lawrence soon realizes that his situation may be a little out of control. But Spencer seems to have some answers. In fact, Spencer may be the one friend Lawrence never knew he needed. 

My Review:
Oh, this book was so hilarious! I enjoyed reading it so much! I love the idea behind the novel and where the title comes from, putting effort in for a certain outcome, and getting the opposite outcome. In this book, it has a hilarious before, during, and after!

I really enjoyed the various relationships that Lawrence had with people. Like with his friends, they basically forgot about him when he stopped doing drugs with them. With Spencer, his mentee, who was really smart and with few social skills. With Zoe, who wanted to date him but Lawrence was afraid of her. Yeah.

There was something a little bit strange about Lawrence. I mean, he sees a talking squirrel. Well, before its eaten by an owl. Sure, he was getting off drugs, but I don't know if that's normal or not, or if I missed something. It was really strange!

There were some really hilarious going ons in this book. Like how he was supposed to set it up for his best friend, and ends up messing it up. And having to join a Renaissance LARPing group. Oh, and his fear of chickens. There was just some amazing moments! Loved how the mystery wrapped up, too, it was not what I expected!

This book was really amazing, and I enjoyed it a ton!

Author: Gordon Jack
Read: February 19th, 2019
Source: Edelweiss/Bought
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book, SAC 2019 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Harper Collins
Published: November 8th 2016
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!