Saturday, October 5, 2019

Week 40 Review: Be Not Far From Me

From Goodreads:
Hatchet meets Wild in this harrowing survival story from Edgar Award-winning author Mindy McGinnis.

The world is not tame.

Ashley knows this truth deep in her bones, more at home with trees overhead than a roof. So when she goes hiking in the Smokies with her friends for a night of partying, the falling dark and creaking trees are second nature to her. But people are not tame either. And when Ashley catches her boyfriend with another girl, drunken rage sends her running into the night, stopped only by a nasty fall into a ravine. Morning brings the realization that she's alone - and far off trail. Lost in undisturbed forest and with nothing but the clothes on her back, Ashley must figure out how to survive despite the red streak of infection creeping up her leg. 

My Review:
This book was such a fantastic and intense read! I enjoyed it so much, Mindy McGinnis is a fantastic author! Besides her first two books, she's written stand alones, and while I would love to revisit some of her earlier characters, I enjoy meeting her newer ones!

There was a point, about a third in, where I felt physically faint. It's only happened once before for me, where the pain that I imagine someone else feeling (the first time it was a film about the last royal Russian family with the boy with the blood thing) and I fainted the first time. I had to actually put this book down and breathe a few times, just so it wouldn't happen again. That's how much this book affected me. Just one word, if you're like me. Pus.

This book is an excellent read about survival. The whole drunken rage bit, well, it doesn't lead to very good decisions, because like the synopsis says, she only has the clothes on her back, plus the bad fall caused injuries that got infected. Not easy! And not a good place to be in, and I enjoyed how smart and tough she was!

This book is pretty short, and it's not action packed, per say, but full of decisions made on how to survive, how to keep going. And that she's by herself the whole time, so there's no real outside conflict besides with her surrounds and the wild animals. Yeah, it was amazing!

This book was so fantastic and such a great read! Loved it!

Author: Mindy McGinnis
Read: September 28th, 2019
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Love her writing so much, and it's a SAC 2019 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books
Expected Publication: March 3rd 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!