Saturday, October 5, 2019

Week 40 Review: Before Now

From Goodreads:
Fans of Ellen Hopkins and Jay Asher will fall in love with this this heartbreaking tale of doomed romance, expertly told in reverse order.

Against all odds, Atty and Cole have escaped their lives in Minneapolis, leaving judgmental parents and unsavory circumstances behind. Their getaway was anything but clean, however, and both of them are haunted and hounded by the mistakes of their pasts.

As their old lives begin to catch up with them, they make an unthinkable choice in order to stay together forever. Atty's journal entries offer a telling and poignant look at the decisions that pushed them to the bitter end.

My Review:
This book was a pretty great read. It's a bit of a downer, honestly, told chronologically going backwards. So we know what happened, we just didn't know why, but we learned. And yeah, it's just kinda sad, that we can't change what happened.

The ending had a lot happening in a short period of time. Of course the beginning was slower, because it needed to set up for what was going to happen. The ending being in the front of the book, and the beginning at the back.

This is the story of Atty and Cole, of their relationship, and how everything fell apart. We got to trace their steps back, from the trip to California, to why they left, to some issues popping up, to them falling in love, to their first meeting. And in a way, that gave me hope, that they had that bright shiny beginning, and they were there, now. But at the same time, it meant that the ending wouldn't change, wouldn't get any better, and that was a bit sad.

I'm torn. I think that they probably wouldn't have been listening to. But I wish that they had tried. Instead they ran away, which made things worse. It wasn't their faults, but they used their bad hand poorly. Again with the sadness that it worked out that way!

I enjoyed this book, but it's not one that I'd read again anytime soon.

Author: Norah Olson
Read: September 28th, 2019
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and I've enjoyed her writing! And it's a SAC 2019 Book!
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books
Published: December 26th 2017
5/5 Hearts
3.5/5 Books
3.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!