Saturday, January 25, 2020

Week 4 Review: The Last Witness

From Goodreads:
A group of friends awaken a malevolent spirit bent on revenge in this haunting thriller from award-winning author Claire McFall

Heather agrees to a group camping holiday with Dougie and his friends because she's desperate to get closer to him. But when the two of them disturb a pagan burial site above the beach, she becomes certain that they have awoken a malevolent spirit. Something is alive out there in the pitch-black dark, and it is planning to seek deadly revenge.

One year later, Heather knows she was very lucky to escape Black Cairn Point, but she is still waiting for Dougie to wake up from his coma. If he doesn't, how will she prove her sanity—and her innocence?

My Review:
This book was unexpected and wonderful! I loved how it was told going back and forth from when the events were happening, and a year later, when she's accused of killing her friends. We saw it unfold, and we got her thoughts about them after the fact. It worked really well with this story!

The set up for this book takes a while. Things don't start going really wrong until around the halfway mark. But the atmosphere was dark and chilling, and I wanted to know what had happened to the group, so it was pretty compelling to keep turning the pages!

I wasn't sure whether or not this was a paranormal book. Since she is saying that there's a malevolent spirit and all that killed the rest of her group. But that's not really mentioned what it was when it was happening, and wasn't really explained in the year later. Yeah.

My one complaint was I wish the ending was longer, to explain the twist fully. Because I can kinda plot out what really happened, but I'm not totally sure, and I would've liked a few more details to flesh it out! I loved the twist, which is why I wanted more of it!

All in all, this was a twisty, dark, and wonderful book and I really enjoyed it!

Author: Claire McFall
Read: January 22nd, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: January 1st 2020
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!