Saturday, January 25, 2020

Week 4 Review: You Owe Me a Murder

From Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Kim gets more than she bargained for when she is set up for murder. Perfect for fans of One of Us is Lying, E. Lockhart, and Gillian Flynn.

17-year-old Kim never expected to plot a murder. But that was before her boyfriend dumped her for another girl. Now, Kim's stuck on a class trip to London with him and his new soulmate and she can't help wishing he was a little bit dead, even if she'd never really do that.

But when Kim meets Nicki, a stranger on the plane who's more than willing to listen to Kim's woes, things start to look up. Nicki's got a great sense of humor, and when she jokes about swapping murders, Kim plays along—that is, until Kim's ex-boyfriend mysteriously dies.

Blackmailed by Nicki to fulfill her end of the deal, Kim will have to commit a murder or take the fall for one.

My Review:
So there seems to be several common themes between Eileen Cooks most recent YA books, which are mystery/thrillers. Like they're a little twisted, especially the endings. There's mention of the previous one, and they are all enjoyable! I just love reading them!

So this book is a bit like Strangers on a Train, which I haven't read, but it's been referenced enough that I get the gist. So I don't know how serious the people talking on the train were, but in this book, one person acts on another's worst desire, and is basically blackmailing the other person to act on theirs. Not fun.

I felt a bit bad for Kim. She's a bit naive, and as we learn, a bit of an unreliable narrator, because of her so called relationship with her boyfriend, which was more than it seemed. Or less, I guess. There were a few secrets, as well, that were so entertaining to read, as well as watching Kim maybe start a new relationship. So much was going on!

How it all ended, I really enjoyed how it all came together, details that Nicki mentioned, details that Kim picked up, and Kim putting it all together. It was awesome to read, and the twist happened, and I just couldn't put it down! Really enjoyable read!

This book was fantastic, I enjoyed it so much, and I can't wait for her next book!

Author: Eileen Cook
Read: January 24th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: I love her writing so much, and it's a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Published: March 5th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!