Saturday, March 28, 2020

Week 13 Reviews: Thorn, The Bone Knife


From Goodreads:
A princess with two futures. A destiny all her own

Between her cruel family and the contempt she faces at court, Princess Alyrra has always longed to escape the confines of her royal life. But when she's betrothed to the powerful prince Kestrin, Alyrra embarks on a journey to his land with little hope for a better future.

When a mysterious and terrifying sorceress robs Alyrra of both her identity and her role as princess, Alyrra seizes the opportunity to start a new life for herself as a goose girl.

But Alyrra soon finds that Kestrin is not what she expected. The more Alyrra learns of this new kingdom, the pain and suffering its people endure, as well as the danger facing Kestrin from the sorceress herself, the more she knows she can't remain the goose girl forever.

With the fate of the kingdom at stake, Alyrra is caught between two worlds and ultimately must decide who she is, and what she stands for.

From Goodreads:

Rae knows how to look out for family. Born with a deformed foot, she feigns indifference to the pity and insults that come her way. Wary of all things beautiful, Rae instantly distrusts their latest visitor: an appallingly attractive faerie. Further, his presence imperils the secret her sister guards. But when the local townspeople show up demanding his blood, Rae must find a way to protect both her sister's secret and their guest. Even if that means risking herself. 

My Review:
Oh, wow, I just devoured the two of these! I started reading them right before I was going to bed to unwind, and boy was that a bad idea! I didn't put them down until I finished, which lead me to have about 3 hours of sleep before work. Good thing I had a short shift and could go right back to sleep afterwards, because I needed it! These were both just so freaking good!

I just loved this story of a princess who gets impersonated, is made to be the sheep girl, and just everything about Alyrra's story had me reading more, I just couldn't get enough! She's just such a strong character, and goes through some pretty hard times because of her situation! She's also smart and caring, and pretty clever, how she deals with the big bad.

This world was just rich with details, and while we didn't learn a lot of how the magic worked, we did get a look at the politics. And the day to day life concerns of the poor vs. the rich, and all the improvements that could be made there. It was just so thrilling to read!

The Bone Knife was an interesting short story, in the same world, connected by a character just briefly met at the end of Thorn. I can't wait to learn more about her, and about the knife, because given that it's a fae gift, there's an interesting story to it, I can just feel it, and I want to know it!

Loved reading these two, and I'm so glad that we're going to get more of this world with Rae!

Author: Intisar Khanani
Series: Dauntless Path #1, The Thief of Sunlight #0.5
Read: March 25th, 25th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Books!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: March 24th 2020, March 24th 2020

Thorn:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








The Bone Knife:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!