Saturday, April 25, 2020

Week 17 Review: Strangers in Court

From Goodreads:
Toby knew what she was doing when she threw her lot in with Devin, but when the time comes to get out, she has a little less of a clue. In order to win her freedom, she must do something to impress the local nobility--and the collapse of the Queen's knowe would seem to be exactly the opportunity she's been waiting for to prove herself! Set well before the events of Rosemary and Rue, this is a rare look at Toby's past as a changeling street rat, before she discovered her destiny as a Hero of the Realm. 

My Review:
Wow, I enjoyed reading this story, of a different Toby than the one we met at the beginning of Rosemary and Rue. And she had to go through this to get to that point. And I learned a few interesting things.

Like the timing of it all. I didn't realize when Toby was pregnant with Gillian when she found the Queen's Knowe. And her pregnancy is why she did so, so she could leave Home, have a safe place to raise her child. Loved that for her!

Also, her interactions with Tybalt in this story were so fantastic, they were so antagonistic, and knowing they'll fall in love and are getting married shortly, well, it was just so fantastic to read! Loved getting another early glimpse into them as characters!

Though now I have burning questions, though they were mere embers before. What's up with Evening's "sister?" Probably not her true sister since they're hard to kill. So what is Evening's game there, because apparently it cost her social power...Unless this was answered in the series and I forgot. But I don't think it's been mentioned...

Loved this story, it was fantastic and I loved being in this world again!

Author: Seanan McGuire
Series: October Daye #0.5
Read: April 18th, 2020
Source: Library
Reason Why: Love her writing, and this series, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Daw Books
Published: October 1st 2009
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!