Saturday, July 4, 2020

Week 27 Review: Etiquette & Espionage

From Goodreads:
Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea--and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right--but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.

My first review of Etiquette & Espionage
My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book again. It was just so hilarious, I loved how off-handed some of the strange things were, like the school for evil geniuses. I really enjoyed Sophronia and her talents for knowing just what to do in a situation. Well, there were mishaps, but this is only book 1, and she's just learning!

I loved her relationships with both her classmates, Genevieve Lefoux, and the Sooties. She doesn't do the social acceptable thing, that's a good chunk of the reason why she's at the school in the first place. I really enjoyed these relationships, and I can't wait to read more about them!

My main question, and one that Sophronia shares, is what does Monique have that kept her at the school, even if she was sent back to first year? I mean, it was speculated that she's working with a teacher, but if so, whom? I want to know!

That ending had the most action of the whole book, besides the beginning. And it was pretty hilarious, because we did get to see the implementation of what Sophronia has been learning, which is spy stuff while still being a lady. It was so great to read!

This was a fantastic book, I really enjoyed reading it, and I can't wait to read the sequels!

Author: Gail Carriger
Series: Finishing School #1
First Read: December 15th, 2013
Read: June 28th, 2020
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Rereading, and it's a Historical Fiction 2020 Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: February 5th 2013
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!