Saturday, July 4, 2020

Week 27 Review: Flame in the Mist

From Goodreads:
The only daughter of a prominent samurai, Mariko has always known she'd been raised for one purpose and one purpose only: to marry. Never mind her cunning, which rivals that of her twin brother, Kenshin, or her skills as an accomplished alchemist. Since Mariko was not born a boy, her fate was sealed the moment she drew her first breath.

So, at just seventeen years old, Mariko is sent to the imperial palace to meet her betrothed, a man she did not choose, for the very first time. But the journey is cut short when Mariko's convoy is viciously attacked by the Black Clan, a dangerous group of bandits who've been hired to kill Mariko before she reaches the palace.

The lone survivor, Mariko narrowly escapes to the woods, where she plots her revenge. Dressed as a peasant boy, she sets out to infiltrate the Black Clan and hunt down those responsible for the target on her back. Once she's within their ranks, though, Mariko finds for the first time she's appreciated for her intellect and abilities. She even finds herself falling in love—a love that will force her to question everything she's ever known about her family, her purpose, and her deepest desires. 

My Review:
Yeah, this was a really fantastic book! I'm so excited to read the sequel, it's going to be epic, to see how things are going to turn out! I just loved these characters in this world, I just couldn't put it down, I had to keep reading! It was such a wonderful read!

Mariko's convey is attacked, and she is thought to be dead. Being the smart, but underappreciated, girl that she is, she dresses as a boy and goes on a quest to find out why they wanted her dead. I loved watching her journey! 

Her interactions with Ōkami were really hilarious, they clashed so hard, the sparks that flew, man, they just blew the roof off the joint! I really enjoyed their relationship, the suspicions, the secrets, the sparks! It was a thrill to read about!

We did get the perspective of Mariko's brother, as well as Ōkami, occasionally. And as the story wove together, well, I have questions. And that ending, oh! Man, so many secrets were revealed, and they in a tricky spot, and I can't wait to see how things go from here!

This was a fantastic read, I enjoyed it immensely, I couldn't put it down, and I can't wait for more!

Author: Renée Ahdieh
Series: Flame in the Mist #1
Read: June 27th, 2020
Source: Own
Reason Why: Love her writing and they sounded really good! And it's a Historical Fiction 2020 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book, and WTC Book!
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons
Published: May 16th 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!