Saturday, September 5, 2020

Week 36 Review: These Vengeful Hearts

From Goodreads:
Anyone can ask the Red Court for a favor... but every request comes at a cost. And once the deed is done, you're forever in their debt.

Whenever something scandalous happens at Heller High, the Red Court is the name on everyone's lips. Its members--the most elite female students in the school--deal out social ruin and favors in equal measure, their true identities a secret known only to their ruthless leader: the Queen of Hearts.

Sixteen-year-old Ember Williams has seen firsthand the damage the Red Court can do. Two years ago, they caused the accident that left her older sister paralyzed. Now, Ember is determined to hold them accountable...by taking the Red Court down from the inside.

But crossing enemy lines will mean crossing moral boundaries, too--ones Ember may never be able to come back from. She always knew taking on the Red Court would come at a price, but will the cost of revenge be more than she's willing to sacrifice?

My Review:
This was a really great book. I loved reading about Ember, joining this secret society of powerful ladies who rule the school in secret. But only so she can get revenge for what they did to her sister. It was such an intriguing concept, and I enjoyed watching it play out! 

I was really interested but a bit apprehensive about this book. After all, it's about her infiltrating a group to take it down to get revenge. And I'm a really nervous person, and there was just so much that could go wrong. And it did, but it's never quite as awful as the black void of things going wrong makes me think.

The whole idea of the Red Court, well, they either right wrongs, or they're paid to do damaged. The former I could get down with, a bit of teenaged vigilantism. But the being paid to use their talents on people who don't deserve it? Yeah, no, that takes it too far. Plus the way they used the people who requested favours from, to later owe the group a favour in return, it's sketchy! 

That ending though! After so many twists and turns and Ember becoming a person that's hard to recognize as who she started off in the beginning, well, I knew things would go down. But I do wish that it had been a little more all or nothing with that one twist. But I enjoyed how it ended!

This was such a great book, and I really enjoyed reading it! 

Author: Katherine Laurin
Read: August 31st, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2020 Book, Sophomore Challenge Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Expected Publication: September 8th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!