Saturday, October 16, 2021

Week 41 Review: The Human Familiar

From Goodreads:
While Bannen had every intention of finding adventure, being yanked through a magical portal two continents away isn't quite what he imagined happening. For that matter, being magically bound to a mage-in-training hadn't ever crossed his mind.

Being the first human familiar ever summoned in Corcoran? Not on his to-do list.

Rena certainly needs all of the help that she can get, as her magic is very different, inhibiting her of the normal shields and protections. Everyone says her summoning a human familiar is a mistake, that she needs to break the bond and send Bannen back.

But Bannen doesn't like this idea, not one iota. Renata Rocci has the magic of a Grim Reaper, the heart of a lion, and a body too frail to keep up with either. She can face assassins; meddlesome mages; politicians; and legendary, nightmarish monsters without flinching. Without losing and that's sexy as sin.

This is definitely not the adventure he signed up for.

It's far, far better.

My Review:
Oh, I loved reading this book! This is another amazing world from Honor Raconteur, and I really just need to binge read the rest of this series! I loved reading about Bannen and Rena, and this world where Rena's magic is just totally different from the rest of the world, and it's so great!

I felt badly for Rena, she's had it tough, her body keeps trying to fail on her, and her magic is only good at destroying things, not creating them. And then she summons a human familiar, which has never been done before (but oh, do they just not understand her magic!)

I loved her and Bannen, he's confident in his own skin, there was such banter, and he was justifiably overprotective, and they just had a really great dynamic! I just loved the fact that Rena and those around her were so confused by how well he took it, that he wanted to stay, wanted to be a part of this adventure. It was so cute! 

And that ending! There's so much possibility to go from here, and I can't wait to see what it looks like when Rena's fully trained in her magic by someone who actually knows it, who has it herself. From the synopsis of the 2nd book, it seems like we won't see the training itself, and I can't wait to see how these character's are going to change!

This was a fantastic book, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series! 

Author: Honor Raconteur 
Series: Familiar and the Mage #1
Read: October 13th, 2021
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book and a WTC Book!
Publisher: Honor Raconteur
Published: September 28th 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!