Thursday, June 23, 2011

Will The Time Come #4, June 23rd

The Time Will Come -
Every Thursday l am going to list a book which l really want to read/keep meaning to get to. These are mostly books which have been on my shelf for awhile now but don't have to be, maybe you got it two weeks ago and really want to read it! Thanks to Books for Company for this meme!

Want to join in?

- Pick a book you have been meaning to read
- Do a post telling us about the book
- Link the post up in the linky
- Visit the other blogs

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
From Goodreads:
Shockingly original and completely unforgettable, The Lovely Bones is the story of a family devastated by a gruesome murder -- a murder recounted by the teenage victim. Upsetting, you say? Remarkably, first-time novelist Alice Sebold takes this difficult material and delivers a compelling and accomplished exploration of a fractured family's need for peace and closure.


The details of the crime are laid out in the first few pages: from her vantage point in heaven, Susie Salmon describes how she was confronted by the murderer one December afternoon on her way home from school. Lured into an underground hiding place, she was raped and killed. But what the reader knows, her family does not. Anxiously, we keep vigil with Susie, aching for her grieving family, desperate for the killer to be found and punished.

Sebold creates a heaven that's calm and comforting, a place whose residents can have whatever they enjoyed when they were alive -- and then some. But Susie isn't ready to release her hold on life just yet, and she intensely watches her family and friends as they struggle to cope with a reality in which she is no longer a part. To her great credit, Sebold has shaped one of the most loving and sympathetic fathers in contemporary literature.

In the tradition of Alice McDermott, who wrote so elegantly about death in Charming Billy, Sebold unveils a book whose presence will linger with readers for a long, long time and signals the arrival of a novelist to be reckoned with.

Why the time hasn't come yet...
I dunno, I blame all the library books, so this is on the list of books to read during the summer or so. Can't wait to! I also have "Lucky" so I'm going to be reading the both of them.


5 comments:

  1. This is a great book, but very sad- have tissues handy! Hope you enjoy it when you get to it!
    (P.S I blame all the library books too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it! And I don't cry when reading-I didn't even tear up reading the seventh HP book. I just don't cry for books. Don't know why, they make me sad, but I don't cry.
    And library books are great to blame-you get to read, and you get to blame them from not reading other books hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh l watched this film and loved it but not sure it's the sort of book l would want to read as l would probably get scared.
    I do hope you enjoy it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I'm going to be watching the movie soon after, I want to see what they're going to do with it :) And I will, I love reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhhhh man, I cried for DAYS after reading this book. Be prepared is all I'm saying lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!