Saturday, April 24, 2021

Week 16 Review: My Contrary Mary

From Goodreads:
Welcome to Renaissance France, a place of poison and plots, of beauties and beasts, of mice and . . . queens?⠀
Mary is the queen of Scotland and the jewel of the French court. Except when she's a mouse. Yes, reader, Mary is an Eðian (shapeshifter) in a kingdom where Verities rule. It's a secret that could cost her a head—or a tail.⠀
Luckily, Mary has a confidant in her betrothed, Francis. But after the king meets a suspicious end, things at the gilded court take a treacherous turn. Thrust onto the throne, Mary and Francis are forced to navigate a viper's nest of conspiracies, traps, and treason. And if Mary's secret is revealed, heads are bound to roll.⠀ 

My Review:
Oh man, this was such a great read! This book is set in the same world as My Lady Jane, which was really great, because we already knew about the conflicts between the Eðian and the Verities. And we were briefly in the French court, so had been introduced to some of our main characters in this book.

We followed 3 people-Mary, Francis, and Ari, the daughter of Nostradamus. Which was really great, because we got to see a variety of views around the politics of the court, of being two central figures, and someone to the side.

The part that I found the most hilarious about this book were Ari's visions. This is a historical book, so of course she wouldn't know that her visions were actually scenes from pop culture movies, like Titanic, Star Wars and The Princess Bride. I found it so hilarious! 

There were a lot of politics going on, from Catherine de Medici, Mary's uncles, the political unrest in Scotland, and oh, I just couldn't put this book down! I loved Mary and Francis, and how they were best friends-and they fell in love with each other, quite by accident. It was just so entertaining to read! 

This was another amazing read from this trio, and I can't wait for more! 

Authors: Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows 
Series: Mary #1 
Read: April 18th, 2021
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Love their writing and the first series, and it's a 2021 Retelling Reading Challenge Book, Historical Fiction 2021 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Expected Publication: June 22nd 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!