Saturday, June 26, 2021

Week 25 Review: The Ones We're Meant to Find

From Goodreads:
One of the most twisty, surprising, engaging page-turner YAs you’ll read this year—We Were Liars meets Black Mirror, with a dash of Studio Ghibli.

Cee has been trapped on an abandoned island for three years without any recollection of how she arrived, or memories from her life prior. All she knows is that somewhere out there, beyond the horizon, she has a sister named Kay, and it's up to Cee to cross the ocean and find her.

In a world apart, 16-year-old STEM prodigy Kasey Mizuhara lives in an eco-city built for people who protected the planet―and now need protecting from it. With natural disasters on the rise due to climate change, eco-cities provide clean air, water, and shelter. Their residents, in exchange, must spend at least a third of their time in stasis pods, conducting business virtually whenever possible to reduce their environmental footprint. While Kasey, an introvert and loner, doesn't mind the lifestyle, her sister Celia hated it. Popular and lovable, Celia much preferred the outside world. But no one could have predicted that Celia would take a boat out to sea, never to return.

Now it's been three months since Celia's disappearance, and Kasey has given up hope. Logic says that her sister must be dead. But nevertheless, she decides to retrace Celia's last steps. Where they'll lead her, she does not know. Her sister was full of secrets. But Kasey has a secret of her own.

My Review:
Well, I had a really fantastic time reading this book! I wanted to know what the heck was going on, and we knew something was up right away when we learn how long Cee's been on the island. But I wasn't expecting what was going on! 

I really enjoyed getting to know these characters. Cee's been trapped alone on this island, just trying to survive. And Kasey is living in an eco-city, part of the effort to minimize human impact on the planet. They're very different people, and I suspect that Kasey has something along the lines of antisocial personality disorder. She really only cares about her sister, and otherwise, retreats into science and numbers. 

It's easier to talk about Kasey then it is about Cee. Because their stories are very intertwined, and Cee's story is harder to talk about. Kasey has a lot of secrets to discover, about Celia, and what's going on, and Cee doesn't know the secrets of her existence. But I loved how most of the chapters ended in a mini of a cliffhanger! 

One thing that I really loved was that we got the majority of the answers of what was going on about halfway through. And I was like, where is the story going to go from here? But there were a few tricks up Joan He's sleeve, and I loved seeing where the story went from there!

A great deal of this book made me rage at the unfairness of it all. Some of humanity just didn't care of take steps to preserve our planet, and even though some are, it's just not working. But I loved how it all tied into this story, and the solution that Kasey came up with. Though I would really love to know what happened at the end! 

This was a really fantastic read, I enjoyed reading about this sisters! 

Author: Joan He
Read: June 25th, 2021
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a 2021 Dystopia Book, SAC 2021 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book!
Publisher: Roaring Brook Pres
Published: May 4th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!