Saturday, January 29, 2022

Week 4 Review: Brimstone and Roses

From Goodreads:
Bea is over her ex. Absolutely, completely, over her... except that she's not. When Bea finds out that her ex is also attending her sister's wedding, Bea does what any logical person would do and summons an incredibly hot, sarcastic demon to be her date. But demons are tricky, and now hers won't leave her alone.

My Review:
I thoroughly enjoyed this webtoon! I wasn't planning on reading it, but I started, and it sounded really great, and I just kinda devoured it, and it was just a great story of demon summoning gone wrong-in the best possible way, given that there's not death and destruction. Well, destruction of potential relationships, but yeah, not what you'd expect from a demon!

I absolutely loved the rep in this book-Bea is plus sized, and it's not a part of the story, she just is. There's so many LGBT+ people, from Bea who's bi, her sister who is trans, and then bi or lesbian, her wife's dads, and others, so that was really great! And there's mental health rep, Bea deals with a lot of anxiety, and I could feel it when she was spiraling! 

I'm interested in this world. Like demon summoning is against the law, and is something that is public knowledge. And the way the demons work is pretty interesting as well, and this half of the 2nd season, I really enjoyed getting that perspective and time in hell! 

Then there's the relationships. Bea does this whole thing because she really hasn't dealt with the aftermath of being broken up with her ex. And we see a lot of unhealthy relationships, with some pretty bad behaviours, and on top of that, we see relationships of those closest to her, who want to help, but just saw the worst thing possible. So Bea does have a lot to heal from. But I loved her relationship with Lazarus, sure, he's a demon, but I really enjoyed their interactions! 

This was such a great read, where it ended has me needing the continuation so very much, and I hope this break is exactly what the author needs! 

Author: Mei Rothschild
Series: Brimstone and Roses #1, 2
Read: January 2th, 2022
Source: Webtoon
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Webtoon
Published: October 17th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!