Saturday, September 5, 2020

Week 36 Review: The Inheritance Games

From Goodreads:
A Cinderella story with deadly stakes and thrilling twists, perfect for fans of One of Us is Lying and Knives Out.

Avery Grambs has a plan for a better future: survive high school, win a scholarship, and get out. But her fortunes change in an instant when billionaire Tobias Hawthorne dies and leaves Avery virtually his entire fortune. The catch? Avery has no idea why--or even who Tobias Hawthorne is. To receive her inheritance, Avery must move into sprawling, secret passage-filled Hawthorne House, where every room bears the old man's touch--and his love of puzzles, riddles, and codes.

Unfortunately for Avery, Hawthorne House is also occupied by the family that Tobias Hawthorne just dispossessed. This includes the four Hawthorne grandsons: dangerous, magnetic, brilliant boys who grew up with every expectation that one day, they would inherit billions. Heir apparent Grayson Hawthorne is convinced that Avery must be a con-woman, and he's determined to take her down. His brother, Jameson, views her as their grandfather's last hurrah: a twisted riddle, a puzzle to be solved. Caught in a world of wealth and privilege, with danger around every turn, Avery will have to play the game herself just to survive. 

My Review:
Wow, I absolutely loved reading this book! I loved the mystery, I loved the characters and their interactions, and I just can't wait to read book 2! Plus watching Avery interact with the various Hawthorne grandsons, and solve this mystery with them. It was fantastic!

I loved Avery, she was smart and she was driven, and I loved how she dealt with this fortune that fell in her lap. That she found the school to be the best part of the whole experience. Though there is the downsides of sharing Hawthorne House with the Hawthorne family, the fame, and oh, someone trying to kill her. Yeah.

There was a good balance of relationship development and mystery solving. Though some of it at the same time. I loved both sides, seeing these characters spend more time together, and have them learn more, follow more clues that were left to them.

I kinda thought that the main mystery of this book would be about the mystery of Tobias's son. I was a book early on that, that's going to be the mystery of book 2, though I'm wondering how that's going to play out, given what we got in this book!

This book was a fantastic read, and I'm so excited to read book 2!

Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Series: The Inheritance Games #1
Read: September 2nd, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Love her writing so much! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: September 1st 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!