Saturday, June 25, 2022

Week 25 Review: Dig Two Graves

From Goodreads:
I did my part, BFF. Now it's your turn.

Seventeen-year-old film noir fan Neve Lanier is a girl who just wants to be seen, but doesn't really fit in anywhere. When Neve is betrayed by her best friend, Yasmin, at the end of the school year, she heads off to a girl's empowerment camp feeling like no one will ever love her again. So when she grabs the attention of the beautiful, charismatic Diane, she falls right under her spell, and may accidentally promise to murder Diane's predatory step-brother, Javier, in exchange for Diane murdering Yasmin. But that was just a joke…right?

Wrong. When Yasmin turns up dead, Diane comes calling, attempting to blackmail Neve into murdering Javier. Stalling for time, Neve pretends to go along with Diane's plan until she can find a way out that doesn't involve homicide. But as she gets to know Javier – and falls for him – she realizes that everything Diane told her is a lie. Even worse, she discovers that Yasmin probably wasn't Diane's first victim. And unless Neve can stop her, she won't be the last. 

My Review:
This was such a fantastic read! I've read books like this before with a strangers on a train plot line, but I was excited to see how it would play out with these characters, since I trust Gretchen McNeil to tell a good story. And she did!

The beginning really had my blood boiling right away. Yasmin was not a good friend, and then when we flash forward to summer, and knowing that something went wrong, as it was revealed, that just poor friend behavior. Especially for the reasons that she did it. She didn't deserve to die, but her actions were awful! 

This thriller, with the blackmail of having to kill Javier, it was pretty intense. And with her complicated family life, with her dad, and the issues with Yasmine-and now the lingering threat, well, Neve has a lot of pressure put on her! I felt so badly! 

I loved all the twists and turns! I didn't know what was going to happen next, and boy, did it go in directions that I wasn't expecting! That final twist, and how she figured it out, was genius, and I loved watching it play out! 

This was a really great mystery, and I can't wait to read more by Gretchen McNeil! 

Author: Gretchen McNeil
Read: June 23rd, 2022
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2022 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Published: April 26th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!