Saturday, June 4, 2022

Week 22 Review: Survive the Dome

From Goodreads:
Jamal Lawson just wanted to be a part of something. As an aspiring journalist, he packs up his camera and heads to Baltimore to document a rally protesting police brutality after another Black man is murdered.

But before it even really begins, the city implements a new safety protocol...the Dome. The Dome surrounds the city, forcing those within to subscribe to a total militarized shutdown. No one can get in, and no one can get out.

Alone in a strange place, Jamal doesn't know where to turn...until he meets hacker Marco, who knows more than he lets on, and Catherine, an AWOL basic-training-graduate, whose parents helped build the initial plans for the Dome.

As unrest inside of Baltimore grows throughout the days-long lockdown, Marco, Catherine, and Jamal take the fight directly to the chief of police. But the city is corrupt from the inside out, and it's going to take everything they have to survive. 

My Review:
This was such a great read! The whole concept infuriated me, and I had to see how they were going to deal with it! And oh, was it satisfying to watch it all come crumbling down! I had such a great time reading this book!

The basic idea that this city gets trapped under this dome because of a protest...it's horrifying. Especially a protest that has a right to demand change. I've never been to a protest, but that is definitely not the correct response!

Watching this trio deal with the situation, with the high tensions, was so great! I really enjoyed that we got some gay rep with Jamal and Marco, they were great together, knowing that this situation pushed them together faster then what would normally happen. I loved reading about them! 

I really enjoyed how things ended, that they'd be able to utilize these skills that they developed while they were trapped in the dome. And that they could continue to work together, it was really satisfying, and if we got a sequel, I wouldn't be mad! 

This was a really great read, and I can't wait to see what Kosoko Jackson writes next! 

Author: Kosoko Jackson
Read: May 29th, 2022
Source: NetGalley/Library
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2022 Book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: March 29th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!