Saturday, December 12, 2020

Week 50 Reviews: City of Glass, Jocelyn's Story


To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Though this was originally written as part of City of Glass, it was too long, explained too much, and had to be shortened and altered. While it's fun to believe that this is how things were for Jocelyn, this excerpt has to be considered non-canon or alternate universe, so don't be surprised if things in future Shadowhunters books contradict this version of events, or if it contradicts things in City of Glass. 

My first review of City of Glass
My Review:
I really enjoyed reading these stories! City of Glass, I've read a few times now, but I'm not sure if I read Jocelyn's Story or not, and forgot to add it to Goodreads or something, or not. But it was really great to read them both as I'm doing my reread of the Shadowhunter Chronicles! 

I remembered a lot of the big beats of this book, like Sebastian being Clary's sister, not Jace, and who Jace's parents were. And that Clary designs the rune to let Shadowhunters and Downworlders share their powers, as well as giving Simon the Mark of Cain. And the big, painful loss. But I forgot the finer points of this story, which is a big reason why I'm doing this reread. Other is to read things chronologically, with the Eldest Curses series popping in-between other entries in this series. 

Jocelyn's Story, while not being officially canon, fits pretty well into what was kept in City of Glass. So while the details may not be totally correct, I loved having more of what happened in that time, because it's pretty pivotal to what's happening now. Valentine started everything then, and now Clary, Jace and the gang are ending it now. 

That ending is just really great. I know what's coming for these characters, so I'm glad that they got this happy moment to relax and recharge. I loved that little mention of Tessa, before we knew who she was. And Clary turning down a favour from the Seelie Queen, because she has all she wants. It was just so great to read! 

These were really great stories, I enjoyed them so much, and I can't wait to continue with my reread! 

Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #3, 3.5, Shadowhunter Chronicles 
First Read: 2009
Second Read: September 12th, 2013
Read: December 9th, 10th, 2020
Source: Own, Online
Reason Why: Rereading! And they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Books!
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books, Cassandra Clare
Published: March 4th 2009, August 31st 2011

City of Glass:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Jocelyn's Story:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!