Saturday, December 19, 2020

Week 51 Review: The Grace Year

From Goodreads:
Survive the year.

No one speaks of the grace year. It's forbidden.

In Garner County, girls are told they have the power to lure grown men from their beds, to drive women mad with jealousy. They believe their very skin emits a powerful aphrodisiac, the potent essence of youth, of a girl on the edge of womanhood. That's why they're banished for their sixteenth year, to release their magic into the wild so they can return purified and ready for marriage. But not all of them will make it home alive.

Sixteen-year-old Tierney James dreams of a better life—a society that doesn't pit friend against friend or woman against woman, but as her own grace year draws near, she quickly realizes that it's not just the brutal elements they must fear. It's not even the poachers in the woods, men who are waiting for a chance to grab one of the girls in order to make a fortune on the black market. Their greatest threat may very well be each other.

With sharp prose and gritty realism, The Grace Year examines the complex and sometimes twisted relationships between girls, the women they eventually become, and the difficult decisions they make in-between. 

My Review:
Yeah, I loved reading this book. I wasn't sure if it would get me to rage at the inequality and unfairness or not, but it did get really close. Especially when we found out what was happening with the Grace Year. That was pretty infuriating! 

This book takes place over the course of a year, Tierney's Grace Year. And because nobody talks about the Grace Year, but the girls have heard something. I loved how Tierney just didn't want to be a part of the system, but her friend pulled her in. That was not fun! 

That time on the island though, I just wondered what the heck was going on. There were plenty of mysteries, like the poacher who didn't kill her, to the skeleton that she finds. And it's a rough go of it, I was on the edge of my seat reading it. And that one scene, that was just heartbreaking! 

But that ending though? I don't know what to make of it. I really enjoyed Tierney really opening her eyes, and seeing the rebellion some of the women like her mom, are doing. And then she found out who the girl with the birthmark is. But I'm confused by how it ended. Like, did she die in childbirth? I just don't know!

This was such a fantastic read, and I can't wait to read more by Kim Liggett! 

Author: Kim Liggett
Read: December 13th, 2020
Source: Bought/NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a 2020 Dystopia Book and a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Published: October 8th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!