Saturday, July 13, 2024

Week 28 Review: A Restless Truth

From Goodreads:
Magic! Murder! Shipboard romance!

Maud Blyth has always longed for adventure. She expected plenty of it when she volunteered to serve as an old lady's companion on an ocean liner, in order to help her beloved older brother unravel a magical conspiracy that began generations ago.

What she didn't expect was for the old lady in question to turn up dead on the first day of the voyage. Now she has to deal with a dead body, a disrespectful parrot, and the lovely, dangerously outrageous Violet Debenham, who's also returning home to England. Violet is everything that Maud has been trained to distrust yet can't help but desire: a magician, an actress, and a magnet for scandal.

Surrounded by the open sea and a ship full of suspects, Maud and Violet must first drop the masks that they've both learned to wear before they can unmask a murderer and somehow get their hands on a magical object worth killing for—without ending up dead in the water themselves.

My Review:
This was such a great sequel! I loved getting to know this mostly new cast of characters, who were stuck on this voyage with a murderer, and watching Maud and Violet falling in love! I just had to keep reading and learning more!

That we got the backstory on these old ladies that had gathered up the contract, the finding of which is why all of these events are happening in the first place, was well done. I really enjoyed how we got this information, and what that information was.

I really enjoyed getting to know Maud and Violet. We briefly got to meet Maud in the first book, and I was glad to see another sibling find romance while working to thwart the bad guys! Plus we really got to meet Jack, as well as Alan, the heroes of the 3rd and final book!

Again, the bad guys were awful, to accuse Maud of being a thief, of putting the blame for their actions on her. But at least they were cleverer then the bad guys again, that was really satisfying to read! And has me so thrilled to read the final book and see where it goes!

Loved reading this book and I can't wait to finish out the series 

Author: Freya Marske
Series: The Last Binding #2
Read: July 9th, 2024 
Source: Library
Reason Why: Loved the first book, and it's a Historical Fiction 2024 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2024 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book! 
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Published: November 1st 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!