Saturday, April 25, 2015

Week 17 Review: The Girl at Midnight

From Goodreads:
For readers of Cassandra Clare's City of Bones and Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone, The Girl at Midnight is the story of a modern girl caught in an ancient war.

Beneath the streets of New York City live the Avicen, an ancient race of people with feathers for hair and magic running through their veins. Age-old enchantments keep them hidden from humans. All but one. Echo is a runaway pickpocket who survives by selling stolen treasures on the black market, and the Avicen are the only family she's ever known.

Echo is clever and daring, and at times she can be brash, but above all else she's fiercely loyal. So when a centuries-old war crests on the borders of her home, she decides it's time to act.

Legend has it that there is a way to end the conflict once and for all: find the Firebird, a mythical entity believed to possess power the likes of which the world has never seen. It will be no easy task, but if life as a thief has taught Echo anything, it's how to hunt down what she wants . . . and how to take it.

But some jobs aren't as straightforward as they seem. And this one might just set the world on fire.

My Review:
I loved reading this book so much! But I kinda wish that I hadn't gotten it as an ARC, because there isn't a guarantee that I'll get the sequel as an ARC, which means that the wait will be longer, which will be just evil! I want more!

I loved Echo's voice so much. I mean, she chose the name Echo for herself (which makes me wonder what name she was born with) and she ran away from a bad home life (though we didn't get very many details in how it was bad) and still, she had a smart, witty, and fun voice! Loved that a lot!

Loved the world so much too! It was complex, and we only really got to see bits and pieces of it, because there was also the action, and yeah, everything just wove together so well! Plus the characters were so awesome to read about! The writing was really fantastic!

The firebird, and how everything worked out, was pretty cool! Though not a lot of details are really known yet, there are going to be future books, so hopefully we'll get more of a background, and how things work, as everyone deals with what's going on!

Such a great, fantastic book, and a début at that, I enjoyed it so much! And I need a sequel like, right now!

Author: Melissa Grey
Series: The Girl at Midnight #1
Read: April 22nd, 2015
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a DAC Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2015 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Delecort Press
Expected Publication: April 28th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!