Saturday, March 23, 2024

Week 12 Review: The Black Girl Survives In This One

From Goodreads:
Be warned, dear reader: The Black girls survive in this one.

Celebrating a new generation of bestselling and acclaimed Black writers, The Black Girl Survives in This One makes space for Black girls in horror. Fifteen chilling and thought-provoking stories place Black girls front and center as heroes and survivors who slay monsters, battle spirits, and face down death. Prepare to be terrified and left breathless by the pieces in this anthology.

The bestselling and acclaimed authors include Erin E. Adams, Monica Brashears, Charlotte Nicole Davis, Desiree S. Evans, Saraciea J. Fennell, Zakiya Dalila Harris, Daka Hermon, Justina Ireland, L. L. McKinney, Brittney Morris, Maritza & Maika Moulite, Eden Royce, and Vincent Tirado, with a foreword by Tananarive Due.

My Review:
This was such a great collection of stories! I've only read from a couple of these authors before, mainly Justina Ireland, but I had a fantastic time reading these stories-the theme of the black girls surviving in these horror stories was so great!

I don't read a lot of horror, or watch much, but the first few stories endings weren't my favourite. Like, the title is correct, they survived to the end of the story, but after the story ends? Are they going to survive much longer after that? They might not, and that kind of ending isn't my favourite, but right until the end they were fantastic! 

I loved the variety of horrors there were, from the The Scottish Play, to zombies to demon deals. They were all so creepy and at times terrifying, and I was rooting for these characters even if I knew that they were going to survive, they deserved it!

I think my favourites were Black Pride by Justina Ireland, and Foxhunt by Charlotte Nicole Davis. In the former, the whole story, and what it turned out to be was so awesome to read. And the latter, yeah, it was just so satisfying, and I was cheering Flex on, I couldn't get enough! It was a great end to the anthology, I keep thinking about it! 

This was a really fantastic anthology and I had a great time reading it! 

Authors: Erin E. Adams, Monica Brashears, Charlotte Nicole Davis, Desiree S. Evans, Saraciea J. Fennell, Zakiya Dalila Harris, Daka Hermon, Justina Ireland, L.L. McKinney, Brittney Morris, Maika & Maritza Moulite, Eden Royce, and Vincent Tirado
Read: March 22nd, 2024
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2024 Book! 
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Published: April 2nd 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!