Saturday, August 24, 2024

Week 34 Review: Phantasma

From Goodreads:
Welcome to Phantasma.There are only two rules to the game. Stay alive. And don't fall in love.

When Ophelia's sister disappears, there is only one way to save her. Ophelia must enter Phantasma, a deadly contest inside a haunted mansion, and claim its prize—a single wish.

Phantasma is a maze of twisting corridors and lavish ballrooms, of demons and temptations. Ophelia will face nine challenges, each more dangerous than the last. There can only be one winner, and the other contestants will stop at nothing to eliminate their rivals.

Every day the house creates new monsters. But just as Ophelia's fears threaten to overwhelm her, a mysterious stranger offers her a bargain.

Charming, arrogant and infuriatingly attractive, Blackwell claims he can guide her through the lethal trials ahead. All he asks in return is ten years of her life.

Ophelia knows she shouldn't trust him. Blackwell doesn't seem dangerous, but appearances can be deceptive. Worse still, she feels a dark and irresistible attraction drawing them closer and closer.

Her life is on the line. But in Phantasma, the only thing deadlier than losing the game is losing your heart…

My Review:
This was such a fantastic book! The synopsis sounded really interesting, and the book delivered on that promise. I had such a great time reading Ophelia's story! The idea of a house of devils, and a competition with levels of sins, yeah, so interesting! 

One thing that I don't really mention on audiobooks, is the narrators. On this book, I'm glad that I noticed, because I've seen some of her short form videos and they were always hilarious so listen to a full length piece of her performance was top notch, I'm going to have to look into other books she's done and see if I'm interested in any of them. 

I don't have OCD, an intense voice that says if you don't do this thing, like knocking three times, disaster is going to strike. So I can't say how well done it was, just that it's there, and was a vibrant part of the story, and I'm so glad that it was a part, from an author that does deal with OCD.

Watching as she was navigating these levels, dealing with Blackwell, searching for the key, worrying about her sister, she had a lot on her plate. That there were a few personal mysteries, well, I loved how the story came together and ended!

Loved reading the book, and I can't wait for the sequel! 

Author: Kaylie Smith 
Read: August 23rd, 2024
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2024 Book! 
Publisher: Second Sky 
Published: September 3rd 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!