Saturday, October 24, 2020

Week 43 Review: The Bright and Breaking Sea

Chloe Neill brings her trademark wit and wild sense of adventure to a stunning seafaring fantasy starring a dauntless heroine in a world of magic and treachery.

Kit Brightling, rescued as a foundling and raised in a home for talented girls, has worked hard to rise through the ranks of the Isles' Crown Command and become one of the few female captains in Queen Charlotte's fleet. Her ship is small, but she's fast--in part because of Kit's magical affinity to the sea. But the waters become perilous when the queen sends Kit on a special mission with a partner she never asked for.

Rian Grant, Viscount Queenscliffe, may be a veteran of the Continental war, but Kit doesn't know him or his motives--and she's dealt with one too many members of the Beau Monde. But Kit has her orders, and the queen has commanded they journey to a dangerous pirate quay and rescue a spy who's been gathering intelligence on the exiled emperor of Gallia.

Kit can lead her ship and clever crew on her own, but with the fate of queen and country at stake, Kit and Rian must learn to trust each other, or else the Isles will fall....

My Review:
I really enjoyed this book! I've enjoyed Chloe Neill's other books, but this is the first historical fiction book that I've read from her. I loved Kit and Grant, they worked well together, but there was a lot of friction and polite bickering. It just so much fun to read! 

This is set in a world with magic and gods, and Alignments. And it's et to the backdrop with a character comparable to Napoléon, at the time after he'd been defeated the first time, was confined to an island, but before he escaped again to wreak more havoc. And it was so interesting to read! 

I really enjoyed Kit as a character, she's strong and smart, and deeply connected to the sea. She's young for her position, and she does take some flack for that, and because she's female, but that's from the sexist old dudes. I just wanted them to get their comeuppance! 

I loved watching these two investigate on behalf of Her Majesty. They have a few consecutive missions, where they start to put the pieces of the bad guy's plans together. I enjoyed the spy work, and learning about the magic, and I'm excited to see where it goes in the sequels! 

This was a fantastic read, and I can't wait to continue the series! 

Author: Chloe Neill
Series: Captain Kit Brightling #1
Read: October 20th, 2020
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing and this series sounded great, and it's a Historical Fiction 2020 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Berkley 
Published: November 17th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!