Saturday, October 24, 2020

Week 43 Reviews: I Was a Teenage Bigfoot, Dead Beat

 
From Goodreads:
Jim Butcher's wizardly PI Harry Dresden pranks some high-tech monster seekers—and attempts to save a friend's son whose life-energy is slowly being drained by an unknown adversary in "I Was a Teenage Bigfoot."

Meet Harry Dresden, Chicago's first (and only) Wizard P.I. Turns out the 'everyday' world isfull of strange and magical things - and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in.

Luckily, however, he's not alone. Although most people don't believe in magic, the Chicago P.D. has a Special Investigations department, headed by his good friend Karrin Murphy. They deal with the . . . stranger cases. It's down to Karrin that Harry sneaks into Graceland Cemetery to meet a vampire named Mavra. Mavra has evidence that would destroy Karrin's career, and her demands are simple. She wants the Word of Kemmler - and all the power that comes with it. But first, Harry's keen to know what he'd be handing over. Before long he's racing against time, and six necromancers, to get the Word. And to prevent a Halloween that would truly wake the dead.

Magic - it can get a guy killed. 

My Review:
It was so great to read more about Harry! And we did get to catch up with Ivring, again, which was great, and we're going to get 1 more story with him, which is really great! Us readers and Harry have watched him grow up! 

Dead Beat is pretty dark. Harry has to work Mavra, who is blackmailing Harry by threatening Karrin. And there's necromancy. And threats that might be too big for Harry to handle. Harry does use Lasciel's knowledge, and that's a scary step! 

One thing that I really enjoy was that we had Waldo. I think he's been in the series briefly, but he plays a pretty big role in this book, and I'm excited to see more of him in the future. Like Harry made his rallying cry, "Polka never dies!" So funny! And great to have in this book, given how dark it was! Oh, and another funny moment was the dinosaur! That was just freaking hilarious! 

Yeah, we got to have Luccio in the main series! I mean, I hope to see more of her from the timeline in A Fistful of Warlocks, the author's note before the story in Brief Cases mentioned that he thought of it as a 4 or 5 book series. But it was fantastic to now see her in Harry's time. 

I enjoyed reading these stories so much, and I can't wait to continue the series! 

Author: Jim Butcher 
Series: The Dresden Files #6.5, 7 
Read: October 22nd, 23rd, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Love his writing and this series, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Books! 
Publisher: Pocket Books, Roc
Published: May 29th 2012, May 3rd 2005

I Was a Teenage Bigfoot:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Star








Dead Beat: 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!