Saturday, October 24, 2020

Week 43 Review: White Sand, Volume 1

A brand new saga of magic and adventure by #1 New York Times best-selling author Brandon Sanderson! On the planet of Taldain, the legendary Sand Masters harness arcane powers to manipulate sand in spectacular ways. But when they are slaughtered in a sinister conspiracy, the weakest of their number, Kenton, believes himself to be the only survivor. With enemies closing in on all sides, Kenton forges an unlikely partnership with Khriss -- a mysterious Darksider who hides secrets of her own.

My Review:
This book was such such a great read! This isn't the first time that we met Khriss-she's the one who was in Secret History, and I don't know if it's in the series yet or not, maybe it was in Arcanum Unbounded, but Khriss is the one that writes the Ars Arcanum at the back of all the Cosmere books. So it was really great to meet her on her home planet. 

I enjoyed being on another Cosmere planet, one that is unique in that it has one side that is in perpetual twilight, and other that is in perpetual daylight. And learning about the Sand Masters, no matter how little we saw in this novel, was so interesting! I can't wait to read more! There's something going on there that I really want to find out, about Kenton and his abilities! 

I was a little confused in the beginning, from where on the map they were, and where various places were references (like where the bad guys were coming from) but then we got about midway through, and the town that they were heading for was the one that Kenton wanted to go to, anyways, so I started to feel less confused. And that the other viewpoint character already resided. I really enjoyed how the different stories wove together.

There is a lot of politics in this book. From the Sand Masters (and their position on the ruling board), to Khriss and her quest, to the criminal underbelly that may or may not be connected to a bigger, overarching scheme. I can't wait to find out how it's all going to play out! 

This was a really great read, and I'm really excited to see where the story goes from here (though I would really love to read the prose version, whenever that comes along!) 

Author: Brandon Sanderson, Rik Hoskin, and Julius Gopez 
Series: White Sand #1, The Cosmere 
Read: October 18th, 2020
Source: Online
Reason Why: Love his writing and this series so much! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book! 
Publisher: Dynamite Entertainment
Published: June 21st 2016
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!