Sunday, January 25, 2015

It Does Not Say Do Not Take My Name In Any Way At All

So, a little background. I'm Christian, have been all my life. Specifically, the denomination United Church of Canada. I'm not an expert, and I'm just reading through the bible right now. So I could be wrong. But these are my current thoughts right now.

So the 3rd commandment, is from my Good News Bible, Today's English Version, says, "Do not use my name for evil purposes, for I, the Lord your God, will punish anyone who misuses my name."

My book thing, The Unofficial United Church Handbook, says it like this: "You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

And then the most common saying of it, is "To not take God's name in vain."

Know what I noticed? That it doesn't say to not take God's name. But not to use it in a negative way. Which implies the opposite, that you can use it in a positive way. Some of the things on the top of my head? Weddings, births, graduations, and happy surprises. And I'm only counting vocal, spoken examples. There is also prayer!

But I could be wrong. I'm only at the beginning of Exodus, so please, corrections are welcome! But what are your guys' thoughts? Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!