Saturday, April 27, 2019

Week 17 Reviews: The Brokenhearted, The Invisible


From Goodreads:
A teenage girl is transformed into a reluctant superhero and must balance her old life with the dark secret of who she has become.

Prima ballerina Anthem Fleet is closely guarded by her parents in their penthouse apartment. But when she meets the handsome Gavin at a party on the wrong side of town, she is immediately drawn into his dangerous world. Then, in a tragic accident, Anthem falls to her death. She awakes in an underground lab, with a bionic heart ticking in her chest. As she navigates her new life, she uncovers the sinister truth behind those she trusted the most, and the chilling secret of her family lineage…and her duty to uphold it.

From Goodreads:
In the riveting sequel to the reimagined superhero story The Brokenhearted, Anthem Fleet takes on a powerful new villain and makes some startling discoveries about her family and her past that will forever change her.

Taking up where The Brokenhearted ended, the sequel finds Anthem Fleet attempting to return to a normal life after an experimental surgery that left her with a bionic hummingbird heart and a terrifying new strength. But she can't shake her suspicions about her father's connection to the Syndicate and she can't ignore the cries of help in the crime-ridden city of Bedlam. She finds new promise in her relationship with Ford, but after his lifesaving surgery, the Ford Anthem knew slips away. 

When a mysterious new group called "The Invisible" starts attacking the privileged North Siders, Anthem has to step up and be the New Hope that Bedlam needs, or Bedlam will fall…once and for all. 

My first review of The Brokenhearted, The Invisible
My Review:
I really enjoyed reading these books again! I love the world, and the way she could move after her illegal heart replacement. I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as the first time, but there's something about the magic of reading a book for the first time that can't be recaptured, no matter if you hardly remember what's going to happen.

I enjoyed Anthem's story. She comes from privilege, and she knows she's sheltered, but she's tough, and she proves it over and over again, from what happened with her boyfriend, to getting a new heart, to fighting crime. Really enjoyed her story!

It's been a while, so I forgot the big twist at the end of The Invisible, but I did remember the one in The Brokenhearted. The later is more immediate, but the former has more implications. Yeah. That's why it's nice to reread books!

I think I read The Invisible a bit too fast, because I don't know why she'd just leave Jax alone with the doctor dude. Sure, she was in a hurry, but that death didn't have to happen. It packed a punch, but I don't think it had to happen, so I think I missed something, like there was more than one bad guy there...

It was so great to read these books, they were such great reads!

Author: Amelia Kahaney
Series: Brokenhearted #1, 2
First Read: November 10th, 10th, 2014
Read: April 24th, 25th, 2019
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2019 Books!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: October 3rd 2013, October 7th 2014

The Brokenhearted:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









The Invisible:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!