Saturday, October 20, 2018

Week 42 Review: Sawkill Girls

From Goodreads:
Beware of the woods and the dark, dank deep.

He'll follow you home, and he won't let you sleep.

Who are the Sawkill Girls?

Marion: the new girl. Awkward and plain, steady and dependable. Weighed down by tragedy and hungry for love she's sure she'll never find.

Zoey: the pariah. Luckless and lonely, hurting but hiding it. Aching with grief and dreaming of vanished girls. Maybe she's broken—or maybe everyone else is.

Val: the queen bee. Gorgeous and privileged, ruthless and regal. Words like silk and eyes like knives, a heart made of secrets and a mouth full of lies.

Their stories come together on the island of Sawkill Rock, where gleaming horses graze in rolling pastures and cold waves crash against black cliffs. Where kids whisper the legend of an insidious monster at parties and around campfires.

Where girls have been disappearing for decades, stolen away by a ravenous evil no one has dared to fight… until now.

My Review:
Man, this book was strange and awesome! I really enjoyed reading it! I loved getting into this world, of strange happenings, and I just wanted to know more! There were the butterflies, and the strangeness with Val-we knew she had a secret, but it took a bit for that to come out to us, and for the other girls to discover it.

I really enjoyed the way that this story was told, we alternated between the three girls, who all have a stake in what was going on. Marion who's sister is taken, Val who is intimately connected to what's going on, and Zoey, who lost her friend previously to whomever.

That point where we find out how the "good" guys are going to take down the threat, it's like, step back, let the ladies handle it. Your way is awful and painful and sexist, and the girls' way is better. But no, they had to go and be assholes about it!

That ending, yeah, I didn't quite know what was going on. The magic was always strange, with the butterflies and such, but yeah, that ending was completely out of this world (ha.) But I did like that ending, it was satisfying and I loved the romance!

Yeah, this book was different and weird and I enjoyed it so much!

Author: Claire Legrande
Read: October 13th, 2018
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2018 Book!
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books
Published: October 2nd 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!