Saturday, May 25, 2024

Week 21 Review: Lady of Steel and Straw

From Goodreads:
Star-crossed lovers grapple with forbidden attraction and a growing army of ghostly dead in this swashbuckling YA fantasy debut.

After ten years of exile, following regicide in the House of Tristain, an alarming royal edict is delivered to the immortal scarecrow Guardians who once defended the crown: surrender themselves to the church of the Silent Gods, or stand accused of further treason. But with a puppet prince set to take the throne and vengeful wraiths appearing with alarming frequency, something foul and sinister is at work in the kingdom of Niveaux.

Lady Charlotte Sand was born to calm the restless dead. A headstrong heroine, she refuses to relinquish her family's lavender Guardian to the Cardinal's Watch—a rash misstep that costs her brother his life and sets her on a path for revenge.

For pious and handsome Captain Luc de Montaigne, it's an excruciating predicament. His long-lost, childhood love has triggered a faction war that could tear the realm asunder. Now Charlotte and Luc must choose between killing one another and stepping closer to victory—or yielding to the electricity between them.

Heartily inspired by The Three Musketeers, this multiple-perspective narrative features a unique system of bone and herbal magic, sultry banter, and a feisty cast of well-rounded supporting characters. This rousing first entry in a romantic fantasy duology is a gorgeous read and excellent pick for fans of Rin Chupeco and Margaret Rogerson.

My Review:
This was such a fantastic read! The synopsis had me intrigued, and I love both the authors it was compared to, and yeah, this book had everything going for it, and it delivered on what it promised to me. I had such a great time reading it!

The magic system in this book was really interesting, with the scarecrows and the guardians. That Charlotte is a part of that, but doesn't want to give it up to the government, yeah, causes a lot of conflict and I loved that with her and Luc! 

I've never actually consumed any original Three Musketeers content, but it's pretty well known in popular culture as something. So I really enjoyed this take, in this world with thee characters, it was really fun to read! 

It does say that this is a duology. I haven't found any information on that yet, it's doesn't at the time of writing this review have a Goodreads series, and this is the only book listed that Erica Ivy Rodgers has written, but hopefully it'll just take a bit of time to update and add the series! Because I want more! 

Loved reading this, and I really do hope that we'll get that sequel! 

Author: Erica Ivy Rodgers 
Read: May 20th, 2024 
Source: NetGalley  
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2024 Book! 
Publisher: Peachtree Teen
Expected Publication: June 4th 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!