Saturday, January 4, 2020

Week 1 Review: A Murderous Relation

From Goodreads:
Veronica Speedwell navigates a dark world of scandal and murder in this new adventure from New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award nominated author Deanna Raybourn.

Veronica Speedwell and her natural historian colleague Stoker are asked by Lady Wellingtonia Beauclerk to help with a potential scandal so explosive it threatens to rock the monarchy. Prince Albert Victor is a regular visitor to the most exclusive private club in London, known as the Club de l'Etoile, and the proprietess, Madame Aurore, has received an expensive gift that can be traced back to the prince. Lady Wellie would like Veronica and Stoker to retrieve the jewel from the club before scandal can break.

Worse yet, London is gripped by hysteria in the autumn of 1888, terrorized by what would become the most notorious and elusive serial killer in history, Jack the Ripper--and Lady Wellie suspects the prince may be responsible.

Veronica and Stoker reluctantly agree to go undercover at Madame Aurore's high class brothel, where another body soon turns up. Many secrets are swirling around Veronica and the royal family--and it's up to Veronica and Stoker to find the truth, before it's too late for all of them.

My Review:
Wow, I loved reading this book so much! I just love Deanna Raybourn's writing, and between Veronica being the awesome person that she is, the historical setting, and the fascinating mysteries, I just devour this series! It's just so fantastic!

This book does take place during the time of Jack the Ripper. So there was a bit of commentary about how life was for those women at the time, of how few choices they had. It was also about her brother, the future King, and his antics, though this was probably made up for the story!

This book is set at high speed! I mean, it mainly takes place over the course of two days. They got to a party at the brothel, and things just don't slow down from there! It was kinda an intense read, and I just couldn't put it down!

I had to do some searching, but I found on Deanna Raybourn's journal, that there's 2 more books in this series, and that's just so exciting! I just love spending time with these characters, and I can't wait to see what further adventures they go on together!

This book was so fantastic, so enjoyable, and I can't wait for the next journey!

Author: Deanna Raybourn
Series: Veronica Speedwell #5
Read: December 31st, 2019
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Love her writing and this series, and it's Historical Fiction 2019 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2019 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Berkley
Expected Publication: March 10th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!