Saturday, January 18, 2020

Week 3 Reviews: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness



From Goodreads:
The Dark Kingdom is preparing itself for the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy--the arrival of a new Queen, a Witch who will wield more power than even the High Lord of Hell himself. But this new ruler is young, and very susceptible to influence and corruption; whoever controls her controls the Darkness. And now, three sworn enemies begin a ruthless game of politics and intrigue, magic and betrayal, and the destiny of an entire world is at stake.

From Goodreads:
Enough time has passed for the young girl Jaenelle, heir to the magical Darkness, for her physical wounds to heal, while amnesia keeps her frightening memories at bay. But with Saetan--a Black-Jewelled Warlord Prince and Jaenelle's foster-father--to protect her, she will continue to grow. Her magic will mature. Her memories will return. And Jaenelle will face her destiny when she remembers Daemon, Saetan's son, who made the ultimate sacrifice for her love.... 

From Goodreads:
Jaenelle Angelline now reigns as Queen-protector of the Shadow Realm. No longer will the corrupt Blood slaughter her people and defile her lands. But where one chapter ends, a final, unseen battle remains to be written, and Jaenelle must unleash the terrible power that is Witch to destroy her enemies once and for all.

Even so, she cannot stand alone. Somewhere, long lost in madness, is Daemon, her promised Consort. Only his unyielding love can complete her Court and secure her reign. Yet, even together, their strength may not be enough to hold back the most malevolent of forces.

My Review:
Wow, oh, wow, I just loved reading these books! I mean, they're all top reads of 2020 already, and while I haven't read all that many this year yet, well, they so far the best reads, and I can't wait to read more of the series!

I started reading these books because Anne Bishop is coming out with The Queen's Bargain as her 2020 release, so I had to read these books beforehand. These books are *dark* and come with a ton of trigger warnings. From rape to child abuse, torture and slavery, this world is something that's become dark and twisted and severely messed up.

There's so much going on with these books! There's the world building which is so well done, with the Queens and the Warlord Princes, and the Jewels of the Blood. There's the politics of the three realms, though Hell is mostly not involved, besides the fact that it's one of it's members leading the charge in the other two realms. There's characters that you come to care for very deeply being in really tough situations that you have no idea if they're going to get out of them. I just couldn't put these books down, to the point where I only had 40 minutes of sleep before going to work, because I finished Shadows, though, I should go to sleep, picked up Darkness, I should go to sleep, but I should finish this scene, and the next, repeat. Yeah.

We watch the journey of Jaenelle, from a young child, using magic in extraordinary and panic-inducing ways for her loved ones, to an adult, a Queen, Witch, and it was a fantastic journey to go on. Blood ended on a pretty horrific note for her, and I just had to read what what was going to happen next!

There are so many moving parts in this series. From Saetan in Hell, Jaenelle, Daemon and Lucivar in Terreille, and Jaenelle's friends in Kaeleer. I loved how everything came together, how her friends became her court, and it was just so powerful and amazing to read!

That end, though! That was pretty intense, and we were given hints so we kinda knew what was going to happen, more than some characters, and less than others, and different characters knew different things. It was just so fantastic to read!

My one thing is, is that I've read the synopsis' of the later books. And I heard that Twilight's Dawn was pretty emotional. I know something bad is going to happen, and it makes me a bit sad that it's going to happen, that they didn't get a full happy ending.

This was a great initial trilogy in this series, and I can't wait to read the rest of this series, because these were such fantastic, amazing reads!

Author: Anne Bishop
Series: The Black Jewels #1, 2, 3
Read: January 14th, 14th, 15th, 2020
Source: Own, Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Love her writing, and we're getting more of this series soon! And they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Books!
Publisher: Roc
Published: March 1st 1998, April 1st 1999, January 1st 2000

Daughter of the Blood:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Heir to the Shadows:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Queen of the Darkness:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!