Saturday, June 20, 2020

Week 25 Reviews: Dragon Actually, Chains & Flames


From Goodreads:
It's not always easy being a female warrior with a nickname like Annwyl the Bloody. Men tend to either cower in fear-a lot-or else salute. It's true that Annwyl has a knack for decapitating legions of her ruthless brother's soldiers without pausing for breath. But just once it would be nice to be able to really talk to a man, the way she can talk to Fearghus the Destroyer. Too bad that Fearghus is a dragon, of the large, scaly, and deadly type. With him, Annwyl feels safe-a far cry from the feelings aroused by the hard-bodied, arrogant knight Fearghus has arranged to help train her for battle. With her days spent fighting a man who fills her with fierce, heady desire, and her nights spent in the company of a magical creature who could smite a village just by exhaling, Annwyl is sure life couldn't get any stranger. She's wrong. [And just wait until you meet the rest of the family.]

My Review:
Yeah, it was so fantastic to read these! Really, it was two novellas in one book, first the story of Annwyl and Fearghus, and the second, the story of Fearghus' parents. I really enjoyed getting to know both these couples! I'm so glad that I read this, it's set in the same world as The Blacksmith Queen, which I didn't know until after I read that, so I'm glad I'm getting around to reading it!

First off, I have to say, how hilarious these stories are. They're just full to the brim with over the top characters who are just plain crazy sometimes, and just so fun to read about. I just enjoy this author's writing, fantasy like this under G.A. Aiken, and urban/paranormal fantasy under Shelly Laurenston!

One thing I loved, is that it was mentioned that his parents had an eventful mating. So we knew there was a story behind it. And then we got that story! Like, there was a tradition mentioned that royals mate on the full moon. Well, Fearghus didn't do that, so I wondered why, and then the 2nd story explained it!

Both sets of couples have their own threats that they have to face, and for both of them, the female of the pair has family members who are that threat. So it's an interesting dynamic, because these families that are fighting aren't close at all. And the ones that are close, well, there's also a lot of in-fighting, but when someone outside of their family threatens them, they band together, and that's really great!

Loved reading these stories, they were hilarious and great, and I can't wait to continue this series!

Author: G.A. Aiken
Series: Dragon Kin #1, 1
Read: June 16th, 16th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: I want to read the spin off series, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Books!
Publisher: Zebra Books
Published: September 1st 2008, September 1st 2008

Dragon Actually:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Chains & Flames:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!