Saturday, August 22, 2020

Week 34 Review: This is Not a Ghost Story

From Goodreads:
I am not welcome. Somehow I know that. Something doesn't want me here.

Whatever this is, it is saying to me in a voice that cannot be heard but only felt: Get out.

Daffodil Franklin has plans for a quiet summer before her freshman year at college, and luckily, she's found the job that can give her just that: housesitting a mansion for a wealthy couple.

But as the summer progresses and shadows lengthen, Daffodil comes to realize the house is more than it appears. The spacious home seems to close in on her, and as she takes the long road into town, she feels eyes on her the entire way, and something tugging her back.

What Daffodil doesn't yet realize is that her job comes with a steep price. The house has a long-ago grudge it needs to settle… and Daffodil is the key to settling it. 

My Review:
This book was really fantastic to read! I loved the fact that this book says it's not a ghost story, but it's got hauntings. I just wanted to figure out what the heck was going on. And given that it is a short book, it's also paced quick quickly, so I devoured it and found out the answer without much wondering.

First off, I have to say, I love Daffodil's narration. She was a really fantastic character to follow. We're not sure if we can rely on her. The question of what is going on, is it real or not was a huge question. I just needed to know! 

This book was so creepy! It started off pretty innocuous. But it quickly became creepy with strange happenings. And she just goes about her day, ignoring it, pretending it's not happening, until that big twist reveal! 

That reveal though? I wasn't expecting that, and it just blow me away, it was totally unexpected for me. And I enjoyed how it concluded, it was what she deserved after all the horrible things she experienced, and I'm glad that she got that calm settling time! 

This was a really fantastic read, and I can't wait to read more by Andrea Portes! 

Author: Andrea Portes
Read: August 20th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2020 and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Harper Ten
Expected Publication: November 17th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!