Saturday, June 23, 2018

Week 25 Review: A Thousand Beginnings and Endings

From Goodreads:
Star-crossed lovers, meddling immortals, feigned identities, battles of wits, and dire warnings. These are the stuff of fairy tale, myth, and folklore that have drawn us in for centuries. 

Fifteen bestselling and acclaimed authors reimagine the folklore and mythology of East and South Asia in short stories that are by turns enchanting, heartbreaking, romantic, and passionate. 

Compiled by We Need Diverse Books's Ellen Oh and Elsie Chapman, the authors included in this exquisite collection are: Renee Ahdieh, Sona Charaipotra, Preeti Chhibber, Roshani Chokshi, Aliette de Bodard, Melissa de la Cruz, Julie Kagawa, Rahul Kanakia, Lori M. Lee, E. C. Myers, Cindy Pon, Aisha Saeed, Shveta Thakrar, and Alyssa Wong. 

A mountain loses her heart. Two sisters transform into birds to escape captivity. A young man learns the true meaning of sacrifice. A young woman takes up her mother's mantle and leads the dead to their final resting place. From fantasy to science fiction to contemporary, from romance to tales of revenge, these stories will beguile readers from start to finish. For fans of Neil Gaiman's Unnatural Creatures and Ameriie's New York Times–bestselling Because You Love to Hate Me. 

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this anthology! It had some authors that I'm not familiar with, and some that I really love! That they were based on myths from all around the East, so not anything that I would know, so I loved learning about them, and the authors take on them!

Each story was very interesting, which meant that I read this book very quickly! I'd move from story to story, because they were so quick and easy to read, and then the next and the next, and before I knew it, I'd finished this anthology! It was such a well-done anthology!

There were a lot of different genres represented in these stories. Some of them were historic, some were modern, and some were futuristic. Loved the variety! And then at the end of the story, we got a little note from the author about the myth that they used in their story. That was really great!

I did have my favourites, like being able to feed ghosts on one day, or being taken to a battlefield and wondering why you were there. Steel Skin, about robots who look like humans, yeah, that was a very interesting story! Really enjoyed it!

This was a fantastic collection of stories and I really enjoyed reading it!

Authors: Ellen Oh, Elsie Chapman, Melissa de la Cruz, Julie Kagawa, Renee Ahdieh, Roshani Chokshi, Aliette de Bodard, Cindy Pon, Alyssa Wong, Sona Charaipotra, Aisha Saeed, Lori M. Lee, Shveta Thakrar, Preeti Chhibber, E.C. Myers, Rahul Kanakia
Read: June 22nd, 2018
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really and some really amazing authors! And it's a SAC 2018 Book!
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Expected Publication: June 26th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!