Saturday, October 5, 2019

Week 40 Review: The Babysitters Coven

From Goodreads:
Adventures in Babysitting meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer in this funny, action-packed novel about a coven of witchy babysitters who realize their calling to protect the innocent and save the world from an onslaught of evil.

Seventeen-year-old Esme Pearl has a babysitters club. She knows it's kinda lame, but what else is she supposed to do? Get a job? Gross. Besides, Esme likes babysitting, and she's good at it.

And lately Esme needs all the cash she can get, because it seems like destruction follows her wherever she goes. Let's just say she owes some people a new tree.

Enter Cassandra Heaven. She's Instagram-model hot, dresses like she found her clothes in a dumpster, and has a rebellious streak as gnarly as the cafeteria food. So why is Cassandra willing to do anything, even take on a potty-training two-year-old, to join Esme's babysitters club?

The answer lies in a mysterious note Cassandra's mother left her: "Find the babysitters. Love, Mom."

Turns out, Esme and Cassandra have more in common than they think, and they're about to discover what being a babysitter really means: a heroic lineage of superpowers, magic rituals, and saving the innocent from seriously terrifying evil. And all before the parents get home. 

My Review:
This book was so funny to read! I enjoyed the fact that it takes on common tropes of babysitters and teens, and is just slightly off, mocking them! Oh, and Esme is pretty sarcastic, at least in her narration, and it was so great to read!

I really enjoyed the way this world worked, with the magic and such, and while Esme and Cassandra just started to learn about it all, well, they have future books to learn more and explore and I can't wait for that! I need those details!

Cassandra was an interesting character. I'm not sure if we're supposed to like her on not, because she makes some questionable choices. Esme I did like, because there were some strange occurrences that it seemed unfair to blame her for-until she learns about the magic!

Of course there's a big showdown on Halloween. The movie is mentioned, and Esme is a babysitter, and that's what this book does. I really enjoyed that, and how we learned more, and yeah, I can't wait to see how things are going to play out in the next book!

This book was so great and fun to read and I enjoyed it so much!

Author: Kate Williams
Series: The Babysitters Coven #1
Read: October 3rd, 2019
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2019 Book!
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Published: September 17th 2019
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!