Saturday, October 5, 2019

Week 40 Review: Problem Child

From Goodreads:
She's cold, calculating, and can deceive with a smile. Jane Doe is back in the Amazon Charts bestselling series—and this time she's met her match.

After a brutal childhood, Jane Doe has been permanently wired to look after herself and only herself. Now, looking next to normal, Jane has a lover and a job. But she hasn't lost her edge. It sharpens when she hears from her estranged family.

Jane's deeply troubled sixteen-year-old niece, Kayla, has vanished, and no one seems to care. Neither does Jane. Until she sees a picture of Kayla and recognizes herself in the young girl's eyes. It's the empty stare of a sociopath.

Jane knows what vengeful and desperate things Kayla is capable of. Only Jane can help her—by being drawn into Kayla's dark world. And no one's more aware than Jane just how dangerous that can be.

My Review:
Man, I really enjoyed this book! I loved reading the first book, and while I was doing that, I just so happened to see a review of this book mentioning that it was on NetGalley, so I just had to request it, and I was approved, and then I just had to read it! So the timing worked out very well for me!

This book is different from the first. Obviously, because Jane got her revenge. But she was pretty single minded about that, whereas in this book, the search for her niece, it's not as pressing, plus she's juggling work and her home life. It's different, but still so enjoyable!

We got to go back to Jane's hometown, to see what she grew up around, and some stories from her childhood made me cringe, because nobody should have to live like that. And given that it was how she was raised as well as her genes that shaped her to be a sociopath, well, kinda proves my point.

I really enjoyed her investigation, and her commentary on how society views and treats women and girls. And her interactions with Kayla were so interesting, because they are pretty similar. And that ending! I heard that there's going to be a 3rd book, and if there is, I'm thrilled, because I need more!

Loved this book so much, and if we get more, I can't wait to read it!

Author: Victoria Helen Stone
Series: Jane Doe #2
Read: October 1st, 2019
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Loved the first book, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2019 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Lake Union Publishing
Expected Publication: March 24th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!