Sunday, June 12, 2011

Death Whispers: Review and Guest Post

Today is the first tour blog stop on the Death Whispers by Tamara Rose Blodgett! And I'd like to welcome Tamara over for a guest post!!!

First, I'd like to thank Louisa, for generously hosting my guest post on her terrific blog! Thank you!
 
Young Adult Mixed-genre Fiction; Are We Stuck-in-a-Rut?

It's not just about the “classics” anymore...

Remember the days of drudgery during high school when we were stuck reading all the classics? (Some were surprisingly good but it's like the mystery candy that has that middle that may...or may not have the “good stuff.”) Most of us just wanted to suck up that hour reading what we wished...now we can. More so than ever a person can download what they wish for themselves, for their children and as gifts for others; it's a wildly different world for readers now, a great one!

Now, with the advent and versatility offered by eBooks a person has choices of books that are considered mixed-genre. This is the category that Death Whispers falls under. Yes, I am a “young adult” author. But, DW has elements of the following running throughout the story: futuristic science fiction, paranormal romance, action and urban fantasy. I'm a big fan of books that incorporate a multitude of different genres in one work. That's why when the idea struck me for DW I knew that I was going to be writing a tale the reflected what I wished to read! I took a casual poll of what genre people thought my book was and I got some very different answers (see above categories). Grandmas and teens have read DW and there is enough diversity for everyone.

What I'm liking about the Independent publishing (how it impacts me as an author, and in a broader sense, the reader) is the feeling of a work that hasn't been “run-through-the-mill:” a million editors, betas and changes later. Now, don't get me wrong, I sometimes wish the “fleet” had my back. But they don't and that pushes me to produce the best work I am capable of. Death Whispers is my perspective on a teen group of kids that get saddled with paranormal powers that have laid dormant in our collective human DNA for eons and through a scientific mapping, are discovered in this future world of ours. The pharmaceutical companies wish to make a “buck,” and inoculate teens. Unfortunately, the adult world isn't ready for the teens' powers and the consequences of them. The story chronicles their antics as every unpredictable thing that could happen...does.

As a mother of four sons, I felt the dialogue came pretty naturally (tongue-stabbing-cheek). I used those experiences and the lingo I've heard bantered about pretty liberally in this work. The advancements in texting have morphed into a viral technology called, “pulsing,” and those interchanges are captured in DW. My hope for my readers is to be entertained by a unique read that allows an escape from everything for a time.

Book two, Death Speaks, continues the evolution of Caleb's maturation. Now in high school, he has a whole different dynamic, surrounded by other paranormals and “big brother,” is still watching. My new series, which begins with, The Pearl Savage, (publishing June 16) is a paranormal romance about a princess raised in a bio-sphere in a post-apocalyptic world of the future.

I appreciate each and every one of you. Thank you for reading my stories and please visit my blog for future releases.


From Goodreads:
Caleb has the most rare of the paranormal powers, Cadaver-Manipulation (aka corpse-raiser). In this world of the future, with Brain Impulse "pulse" Technology's wide-spread use and influence keenly realized, routine school inoculation has expanded to include a pharmaceutical cocktail, which once administered, unlocks the genetic potential for paranormal abilities. Using this small window of puberty, teens who have the genetic propensity find themselves manifesting extraordinary gifts; some of which garner the full attention of our government. Caleb must camouflage his new "talent" during the mandatory eighth grade Aptitude Test so that he remains undiscovered while establishing choice for his future. However, events beyond his control systematically reveal Caleb and his friends, which force them to fight for their freedom. In the midst of this struggle, his girlfriend's father battles to reassert his abusive dominance in her life while a couple of "peer enemies" thwart his efforts of secrecy at every turn. In the explosive climax, Caleb must protect his friends, and Jade, the one he loves...at all costs.

My Review:
This book was awesome! Loved it! Thank you Tamara for sending me a PDF of Death Whispers! Anyway, I loved Caleb and Jade, their relationship was just so cute, and I just wanted to be sucked into it, and I was, because Caleb was!

The plot was excellent, sweeping me into the world of being able to create paranormal gifts, pulse tech, and so much more! Unique and uplifting, Caleb's ablitly, AFTD,  stands for Affinity for the Dead, is quite rare, and to add to that, he has the smae power as the first one to get AFTD, Jeffery Parker, whom I didn't like when I met him, but that's a good thing!

Also loved Onyx, he was so cute! I hope we find out about his previous owner, since the way that it was said, it made me think that something bad had happened to him, and well, I want to know everything :)

The tech was awesome, what we have, but more advanced, since we all know that technolgy just doesn't sit still for anyone or anybody! I just loved the pulse conversations that we some much easier then what we have!

Caleb's friends and family, they were just great! I loved how easily Caleb got along with is parents (his dad was one who first mapped the  genome, making Caleb the son of a famous person) and the J's were just very funny, and very distinctive, Jonesy with his insane, 'let's get into trouble' plans, and John with his cool logic, they were really funny, and just worked well with each other, the group were good friends!

Just loved this book, can't wait to read the next book! (goes to library to petition them to buy it since I have no money!!!)

Author: Tamara Rose Blodgett
Series: Death #1
Read: June 10th-11th, 2011
Source: Virtual Book Cafe Review Copy
Reason Why: Sounded like a really fantastic book!
Publisher: Tamara Rose Blodgett
Published: March 31st 2011
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

Bio:
Tamara Rose Blodgett is a 'thinking-out-of-the box' paranormal enthusiast who believes there's a 95% chance zombies do not exist; but loves to write as if they do. I'm from Alaska and have worked as an online journalist in the past. I enjoyed writing, Death Whispers, and am hard at work on book two, Death Speaks, (pub. Aug. 2011). My paranormal romance, The Pearl Savage, is due to publish in mid-June. In my spare time I'm a [reluctant] serial-re-modeler, project-slave and big time, in-my-pants reader (surprise!). I do a great deal of day-dreaming about impossible scenarios and events, writing books to capture them in stories for you~ Side note: Gnomes should be exterminated.
                                                             


Contact or Buy AKA Links:

Stops on the Tour:
June 13 - Guest Blogging at Words I Write Crazy
June 15 - Guest Blogging at Bilibrary Bookslut 
June 17 - Author Interviewed at The Radical
June 20 - Guest Blogging at J. A. Beards Unnecessary Musings
June 22 - Author Interviewed at Margaret West
June 24 - Guest Blogging at  Wise Words
June 29 - Guest Blogging at Authors by Authors
July 5 - Author Interviewed at Lisa
July 7 - Author Interviewed at Immortal Cafe

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Louisa, for hosting me on your blog and I'm *thrilled* you loved, "Death Whispers!" I'll be thinking about Onyx... :D Thanks for the feedback, I love hearing what my readers think! Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Tamara! I love all genre's and it's funny that we as(writers and readers) seem to be focused on young adult paranormal. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!