Saturday, February 24, 2018

Week 8 Review: Heartsong

From Goodreads:
A debut historical fantasy that recasts Jane Austen's beloved Pride and Prejudice in an imaginative world of wyverns, dragons, and the warriors who fight alongside them against the monsters that threaten the kingdom: gryphons, direwolves, lamias, banshees, and lindworms

They say a Rider in possession of a good blade must be in want of a monster to slay—and Merybourne Manor has plenty of monsters. 

Passionate, headstrong Aliza Bentaine knows this all too well; she's already lost one sister to the invading gryphons. So when Lord Merybourne hires a band of Riders to hunt down the horde, Aliza is relieved her home will soon be safe again.

Her relief is short-lived. With the arrival of the haughty and handsome dragonrider, Alastair Daired, Aliza expects a battle; what she doesn't expect is a romantic clash of wills, pitting words and wit against the pride of an ancient house. Nor does she anticipate the mystery that follows them from Merybourne Manor, its roots running deep as the foundations of the kingdom itself, where something old and dreadful slumbers . . . something far more sinister than gryphons.

It's a war Aliza is ill-prepared to wage, on a battlefield she's never known before: one spanning kingdoms, class lines, and the curious nature of her own heart. 

Elle Katharine White infuses elements of Austen's beloved novel with her own brand of magic, crafting a modern epic fantasy that conjures a familiar yet wondrously unique new world. 

My first review of Heartsong
My Review:
Oh, wow, it was so great to read this book again! I totally wasn't planning on it, but two things made me want to-that I saw a post about dragons, and that I found out that this is going to be a series, that there's going to be a sequel! So I just had to read it again!

This book was just so freaking great! I loved everything about it, from the world with the dragons and the Pride and Prejudice retelling bits, to the relationship between Aliza and Alastair! I could see him actually having feelings for Aliza, vs. Darcy for Elizabeth.

The whole thing with her friend's father, and the bad choices that he made, well, introduced some of the world that I really hope we get to explore further in the sequel! What with the other land, and the beings who were at best neutral about humans, might not be anymore! I want more!

Aliza didn't actually face the Greater Worm, but she was there, and she gave another reason as to why they should kill it besides the fact that it was destroying the land-because Alistair had to eat its heart to heal. So an important role! She also severely injured a bad guy, so that helped, too!

This book was just absolutely fantastic, and I'm so excited that we're getting a sequel! I just want to read it!

Author: Elle Katherine White
Series: Heartsong #1
First Read: January 23rd, 2017
Read: February 20th, 2018
Source: Copy from Review Tour
Reason Why: Rereading, and it's a 2018 Retelling Reading Challenge Book, Historical Fiction 2018 Book, and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2018!
Publisher: Harper Voyage
Published: January 17th 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!