Saturday, November 2, 2019

Week 44 Review: I Am Still Alive

From Goodreads:
After
Jess is alone. Her cabin has burned to the ground. She knows if she doesn't act fast, the cold will kill her before she has time to worry about food. But she is still alive—for now.

Before
Jess hadn't seen her survivalist, off-the-grid dad in over a decade. But after a car crash killed her mother and left her injured, she was forced to move to his cabin in the remote Canadian wilderness. Just as Jess was beginning to get to know him, a secret from his past paid them a visit, leaving her father dead and Jess stranded.

After
With only her father's dog for company, Jess must forage and hunt for food, build shelter, and keep herself warm. Some days it feels like the wild is out to destroy her, but she's stronger than she ever imagined.

Jess will survive. She has to. She knows who killed her father… and she wants revenge. 

My Review:
Oh, man, I enjoyed this book so much! It's a different story than her 2nd book, which I read first, but there are some similar elements, there's survival, and strong female leads. But this is a contemporary, and a different kind of survival!

I really enjoyed how this story was told between Before and After, until we catch up to where she is now, and the story goes on. Of how she made her way to her dad, and getting to know him before their time got cut short and he was murdered and she was left all alone in the wilderness. Well, she had Bo the dog.

Smart, not strong, That was something that Jess had to repeat, because she had a bad leg from the car accident that killed her mom. Sometimes she made mistakes, like with the canoe in the beginning, but she survived.

That ending, wow, I couldn't put this book down! It was intense, and just kept going! And then there was the light at the end of the tunnel, and there was that horrible moment. I teared up then. Yeah, it was a really fantastic, emotional, amazing ending!

This book was a fantastic read and I enjoyed it so, so much, and I can't wait to read more by Kate Alice Marshall!

Author: Kate Alice Marshall
Read: October 31st, 2019
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and I enjoyed her other book! And it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2019 Book!
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Published: July 24th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!