Saturday, November 30, 2019

Week 48 Review: The Butterfly Garden

From Goodreads:
Maya, a fierce survivor, leads us through the aftermath of a brutal event as she recounts her tale to the FBI, but her story keeps us at the edges, letting the questions simmer, bubbling up small answers that beg new, bigger questions in their wake: How did Maya escape captivity? Did the other girls survive? What happened to the garden-and the Gardener? 

Maya reveals a vivid dimension to the twisted puzzle and raises larger questions about her own motives. As the truth slowly emerges from a carefully constructed cocoon, author Dot Hutchison has us questioning whether this is a tale of terrible beauty or a beautiful tale of terror. 

The frantic rustling of a butterfly's wings against a collector's net seems futile-but when many butterflies flock together, they become much harder to pin down. For us, this innocuous symbol of transformative beauty will forever be a perverse reminder of the Gardener, a depraved man with his magnificent, grotesque collection of butterflies.

My Review:
Oh, this was a really fantastic read! It was really twisted, too, but yeah, I know that it was going to be dark going in, so I just couldn't wait to see how the mystery would unfold! While this book is mainly narrated by Maya, it seems future books focus on the investigative team who is interviewing her.

The way this story was told was meandering, jumping time around a lot, and it was a bit difficult getting the order of events firmly in mind in relation to one another. But it was definitely a different approach, and I enjoy different!

The idea that someone could get away with this for as long as he did-I mean, it was decades that this went on, speaks to several things about our society, from how women aren't believed as easily about crimes. About how money talks. Or I could be reaching, and it wasn't intended, but that's part of what I got from it.

That ending, when we found out how the Gardener was found out, why she's being interviewed, yeah, that was a great reveal! I mean, we got hints that it was pretty awful, but those details...it just made for an amazing read!

Really enjoyed reading this book, and I can't wait to read more of the series!

Author: Dot Hutchison
Series: The Collector #1
Read: November 27th, 2019
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2019 Book!
Publisher: Thomas & Mercer
Published: April 26th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!