Saturday, May 23, 2020

Week 21 Review: Through the White Wood

From Goodreads:
Katya's power to freeze anything she touches has made her an outcast in her isolated village. And when she loses control of her ability, accidentally killing several villagers, she is banished to the palace of the terrifying Prince Sasha in Kiev.

At the castle, though, she is surprised to find that Sasha is just like her—with his own strange talent, the ability to summon fire. Instead of punishment, Sasha offers Katya friendship, and the chance to embrace her power rather than fear it.

But outside the walls of Kiev, Sasha's enemies have organized their own army of people who can control the very earth. Bent on taking over the entire world, they won't stop until they've destroyed everything.

Katya and Sasha are desperate to stop the encroaching army, and together their powers are a fearsome weapon. But as their enemies draw nearer, leaving destruction in their wake, will fire and frost be enough to save the world? Or will they lose everything they hold dear?

My Review:
This book was a really fantastic read! I really enjoyed getting to know Katya and watching her struggle with her powers, with her situation, and with the secrets that were kept from her. I really had a great time reading this book!

This is a world of elementals, and I enjoyed learning how the magic worked. Especially since Katya's power has a level of destruction that scares her, and Sasha has a power that isn't enough to face this threat. I really enjoyed that dynamic!

A good part of this story is Katya's past, or rather, her parents. Because that's a big question mark, and bit by bit, it's answered, sometimes in a big way, sometimes a small but meaningful one. It was pretty fascinating to read!

One thing that I loved, was that we got to see Ciara and Leif again, as adults, that was really fantastic, that this world is the same one. That Ciara got to mentor Katya, passing on her knowledge, that was just heartwarming!

This book was a really fantastic book, I really enjoyed reading it, and I would love to read more by Jessica Leake!

Author: Jessica Leake
Read: May 19th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Historical Fiction 2020 Book and a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: April 9th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!