Saturday, July 18, 2020

Week 29 Review: Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe

From Goodreads:
Darcy Fitzwilliam is 29, beautiful, successful, and brilliant. She dates hedge funders and basketball stars and is never without her three cellphones—one for work, one for play, and one to throw at her assistant (just kidding). Darcy's never fallen in love, never has time for anyone else's drama, and never goes home for Christmas if she can help it. But when her mother falls ill, she comes home to Pemberley, Ohio, to spend the season with her dad and little brother.

Her parents throw their annual Christmas bash, where she meets one Luke Bennet, the smart, sardonic slacker son of their neighbor. Luke is 32 and has never left home. He's a carpenter and makes beautiful furniture, and is content with his simple life. He comes from a family of five brothers, each one less ambitious than the other. When Darcy and Luke fall into bed after too many eggnogs, Darcy thinks it's just another one night stand. But why can't she stop thinking of Luke? What is it about him? And can she fall in love, or will her pride and his prejudice against big-city girls stand in their way? 

My Review:
This was such a fun read! It was nice and cute, and it was a pretty good retelling of Pride and Prejudice, but with a gender bent twist! Loved having Darcy be female! It was a really great read, and I really enjoyed getting to know Darcy and Luke! It did have its flaws, it was a little overdramatic, and Darcy was a tad materialistic but it was a really enjoyable story.

I wasn't sure where this book would go. I have read Pride and Prejudice though that was before I started blogging, which I've been doing for almost 10 years now, but between the switched genders and the modern setting, I was really excited to see where the story might go. The part with her family was such an interesting plot, because as far as I remember, it wasn't in the original, and so I had a great time learning their secrets and their family dynamics.

One of my favourite parts from this book was the Bingley counterpart's story. Because he's gay, and ends up with Luke's brother, of course. It was just so cute, and I loved seeing Darcy help him work through his problems, though maybe not the most helpful! 

We always saw things from Lizzy's perspective. But having someone who was the "prejudice" in the story was very interesting to read. Seeing how things appeared from this side of things, well, it's not like either of them are perfect, the title has their flaws, so that was a great part of this book for me, how those flaws caused them both problems in their relationship with each other.

This was a nice fun read and I enjoyed how it all came together, and I had a great time reading it!

Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Read: July 12th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded good, and it's a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Published: October 17th 2017
5/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!