Saturday, May 7, 2011

Week 18 Reviews: Hex Hall

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

My Review:
Hex Hall was a great Paranormal YA! I loved Sophie's thoughts, and her snark, it was awesome, and it really brought her to life for me. It was funny, quirky, and a joy to read. Glad that I did.

I enjoyed the story, and the romances. They were budding, and they were blooming. And the jealously! Pure cat fights, but words instead of fists and nails. Awesome!

I liked the creation myth, since it's different from what's out there, and the mythological creatures the author chose to have in her world, I thought that the choices complemented each other.

All in all, a very good book, and I highly recommend it to anyone who reads YA, or just likes a light-dark novel!

Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: Hex Hall #1
Read: May 1st, 2011
Source: Library
Reason Why: Sounded really good!
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Published: March 2nd 2010
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!