Saturday, May 21, 2011

Week 20 Review: The Witch's Daughter

From Goodreads:
In the spring of 1628, the Witchfinder of Wessex finds himself a true Witch. As Bess Hawksmith watches her mother swing from the Hanging Tree she knows that only one man can save her from the same fate: the Warlock Gideon Masters. Secluded at his cottage in the woods, Gideon instructs Bess in the Craft, awakening formidable powers and making her immortal. She couldn’t have foreseen that even now, centuries later, he will be hunting her across time, determined to claim payment for saving her life.

In present-day England, Elizabeth has built a quiet life. Her solitude abruptly ends when a teenage girl named Tegan starts hanging around. Against her instincts, Elizabeth teaches Tegan the ways of the Hedge Witch, in the process awakening memories—and demons—long thought forgotten.


Part historical romance, part modern fantasy, The Witch’s Daughter is a fresh, compelling take on the magical, yet dangerous world of witches. Readers will long remember the fiercely independent heroine who survives plagues, wars, and the heartbreak of immortality to stay true to herself, and protect the protégé she comes to love.

My Review:
I enjoyed this book. There was back and forth, both historical, and paranormal. I liked the history, and the magic and just the story of it all.

I loved how the characters evolved, from being a girl, to a witch, to a woman. Bess was a great as a kid, and I enjoyed reading about her, and I felt deeply about the unfairness of her situation. It was truly unfair, and I wished that she could fight back, but she was just a child, and unable to really do anything.

I enjoyed her lives, and how after each one, would be the present. I enjoyed the back and forth, and I rather enjoyed the ending, it was hopeful, that she had won, but wasn't there-but that she'd be back, and then all would be well.

The historic details were wonderful, and I liked how where it started, it ended, and that the world wasn't so different as it might appear to be.

The characters had spunk, and originality, and lives were linked to one another, and the travels were wonderful, and fun to read. I truly enjoyed this book, and I hope you do too.

Author: Paula Brackston
Read: May 19th, 2011
Source: Library
Reason Why: Sounded really great!
Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Published: January 18th 2011
4/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!