Saturday, September 14, 2019

Week 37 Reviews: The Totally Secret Origin of Foxman: Excerpts from an EPIC Autobiography, School for Sidekicks


From Goodreads:
Before O.S.I.R.I.S, before the betrayal and the drinking and "the Incident at the Tower," before Captain Commanding (that jerk!), before the new powers and the super suit, there was Rand, a teen boy with a few family problems and a gift for inventions... Then the Hero Bomb went off. For the first time, the Fabulous Foxman tells his own origin story in his own words (no matter what that silly ghostwriter says).

From Goodreads:
Being a hero isn't always what it's cracked up to be in this funny and genuine novel from adult fantasy author Kelly McCullough.

Evan Quick is a GIANT superhero geek who dreams of one day becoming a superhero himself. Every morning he checks to see if he's developed his powers overnight, and every day there's nothing. No flying, no super strength, no invulnerability—that always hurts to check—no telepathy, no magic. Not even the ability to turn off the alarm clock without smacking the switch.

But then Evan somehow manages to survive a supervillian's death ray, and is sent to the Academy for Metahuman Operatives. Unfortunately, his new school is not what he expected, and instead of fighting bad guys, Evan finds himself blacklisted, and on the wrong side of the school's director. If Evan ever wants to realize his dream, he must convince his "mentor" Foxman, a semi-retired has-been, to become a real hero once again.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading these stories! I enjoyed being in this world, it's a great one of Masks and Hoods, and the mystery of their start with the Hero bomb! It was so fun to read, these characters could be pretty hilarious, and I enjoyed reading about them!

The Origin story was a bit confusing. Because he would mention something that conflicted with what was going on. He started the story over a few times, going further and further back in time. And then it was straightforward, and made sense, and yeah, it was pretty excellent writing!

When first started School for Sidekicks, I was afraid it was edging into middle grade, that I wouldn't enjoy it. After all, Evan just turned 13 at the beginning of the book. But if it was a YA/middle grade split genre, it was mature enough that I did enjoy it!

The way that Sidekicks ended, well, it's open for the possibility for a sequel. It's unlikely that we'll get one, given that it's been 4 years since it came out. I would've loved to have more, but while it was open ended, the plot threads were pretty dealt with in this book, so I'm satisfied!

Really enjoyed these two stories, and I have to check out more of Kelly McCulloguh's writing!

Author: Kelly McCullough
Series: Academy of Metahuman Operatives #0.5, 1
Read: September 7th, 8th, 2019
Source: Free Online, NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2019 Books!
Publisher: Tor Books, Feiwel and Friends
Published: July 22nd 2015, August 4th 2015

The Totally Secret Origin of Foxman: Excerpts from an EPIC Autobiography:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









School for Sidekicks:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!