Friday, July 29, 2011

Forgotten April: Guest Post and Review

Today I'd like to welcome over Robyn Bradley, author of Forgotten April, over for a guest post!

Riding the Hot Genre Wave: 3 Things to Keep in Mind

Back in the "old" days (we're talking five years ago), agents were quick to point out that trying to cash in on the hot genre of the day wasn't a good strategy for writers. Why? Because what's hot now might not be a year from now, and since a book typically takes anywhere from 12 to 18 to even 24 months from contract to publication, you could easily miss the hot genre target. Instead, they'd insist, write the book you believe in and the rest will work itself out.

I think this is still sound advice. However, what's changed is the time it takes to bring a book to market. Thanks to electronic publishing and to publishers, like Amazon, with imprints that are pushing books to markets sooner, it’s more possible now than ever before to ride a hot genre wave. But an important question remains: should you?

Here are three things to consider before you dive into the hot genre waters:

1. Are you passionate about the genre of the day? I've often joked that if I added a little paranormal romance to my novel, I'd be all set. As much as I appreciate and can enjoy reading this genre, it's not my passion when it comes to writing. I know if I attempted to write a paranormal romance it would be torture to me, and, no doubt, to my readers.

2. Do you plan on seeking traditional publication? If the answer is yes, then the advice from five years ago still holds true today. While many of us expect that publishers will eventually have no choice but to bring books to market sooner, this won't happen overnight. As Rachelle Gardner notes in her blog post "The Changing Publishing Landscape," many publishers already have their book releases planned through 2013 and even 2014. Paranormal romance -- which is hot right now in 2011 -- might not be the hot genre in 2015.

3. If you decide to self-publish, are you prepared to invest time and money? A hot genre novel does not a writing career make. You still need to write a good book, first and foremost. If you decide to self-publish in the hopes of riding the hot genre wave, you need to be prepared to spend some money (on things like cover art, e-file conversion, advertising) and a lot of time marketing yourself to the people (reviewers, bloggers, readers) who care about your genre.

Remember, hot genres come and go. While successfully riding a hot genre wave could give a boost to your career, it's more important, in my mind, to write a book you truly care about. A story told with passion and conviction, even if it's from a "passé" genre, trumps a hot genre any day of the week.

What do you think? Agree or disagree? The comments are open.

And thanks, Louisa, for having me stop by Words I Write Crazy. I appreciate your support.

From Goodreads:
For April Sullivan-LaMonica, the last ten years have been hell: her husband and young son were killed in a car accident, and soon after, her mom descended into the darkness of Alzheimer's. So when broadcast journalist Maggie Prescott shows up claiming to be April's half sister and tries to capture their reunion on film, April outwardly regards Maggie with much suspicion. In reality, she's simply afraid to grow close to someone again, only to have that person leave--or worse.

Maggie, meanwhile, is battling her own demons: figuring out why her biological mother gave her up, facing a secret she's kept from the one man she's loved all her life, and giving herself permission to follow the dream she's had since she was a child.

Separated by nearly two decades and radically different life paths, April and Maggie must decide if pursuing their sisterhood is worth it...or even possible.

A story of loss, love, survival, and redemption, Forgotten April will speak to anyone who's experienced the pains--and riches--of an unexpected friendship that emerges from family ties.

My Review:
I really liked reading Forgotten April. I think that it had a great ending, and that everything just ended up where it was supposed to, and that everybody was happy. I like those types of endings.

I loved all the different POV's, and how they all changed each chapter, and how all these connections just kept poping up-this person loved this one, and that "this one" was the husband of the roommate of "this person"'s favouite  person. It was just really connected, and I really liked it!

I really enjoyed reading this book, and I hope you guys will, too!

Author: Robyn Bradley
Read: July 12th, 2011
Source: Virtual Book Cafe Review Copy
Reason Why: Sounded really good!
Publisher: Robyn Bradley
Published: April 12th 2011
4/5 Hearts
3.5/5 Books
4/5 Stars


Bio:
Robyn Bradley is a Short Story Seductress and Novelist Ninja with an MFA in Creative Writing from Lesley University. Her work has appeared in FictionWeekly.com, Metal Scratches, The Breakwater Review, Writer's Digest, and The MetroWest Daily News, among other places. In 2007, she won a short story award for “A Touch of Charlotte.” Forgotten April is her first novel and is available on Kindle, Nook, iPad, and in paperback. When she's not writing or sleeping, Robyn enjoys watching Law & Order marathons, drinking margaritas, and determining how many degrees really separate her from George Clooney. Learn more at Robyn Bradley's website.

Contact and Buy AKA Links:


Stops on the Tour:
June 30 - Meet & Greet at Virtual Book Tour Cafe
July 6 - Guest Blogging at Me Want Food
July 8 - Guest Blogging at A Mother's Touch Book Shelf
July 12 - Guest Blogging at Meta Modo
July 15 - Guest Blogging at Whispers by Rhiannon Ellis
July 18 - Guest Blogging at C J Archer
July 20 - Author Interviewed at Lisa Haselton's Reviews and Interviews
July 22 - Guest Blogging at Bibrary Bookslut
July 26 - Author Interviewed at Deanna's Tidbits
July 28 - Author Interviewed at BK Walker Books
July 30 - Guest Blogging at Words I Write Crazy
August 3 - Guest Blogging at Hywela Lyn; Romance that's "Out of This World"
August 9 - Author Interviewed on Blog Talk Radio BK Media & Entertainment Radio

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem :) And thanks for sending your book to me!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!