- The challenge will run from January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014. I will post a wrap-up post at the end of each month with links to my retelling review(s) for that month.
- Each retelling read MUST be reviewed in some way. In the comments section of my monthly wrap-up post, you can link up your own reviews as well.
- Novel-length (150+ pages) fiction only
- No more than 2 re-reads
- All formats allowed
- Anyone can join at any time in the year, although books read prior to joining do not count.
- You don’t have to have a blog to join; reviewing on Goodreads or Amazon is fine as long as everybody can see it.
- Books don’t have to be stated in advance; it’s up to you!
- ARC’s are fine, but try to read some that aren’t new releases.
- Retellings can be anything from a contemporary version of a Shakespeare play to an interpretation of Sleeping Beauty. As long as there is evidence it is a retelling of some kind, it will most likely count. But you can’t just start reading a random book and go, “Oh! This sort of reminds me of blankety-blank.” There must be some sort of statement that this is based on a prior work.
- The retelling can have an oral origin. Not all legends/myths were traditionally written down, but if it’s a legitimate story, it works. For example, most Native American folklore was not written, but a retelling of some Iroquois tale is perfectly valid.
Easy: 1-5 books
Not So Easy: 6-12 books
I Like A Challenge: 13-19 books
I Eat Easy for Breakfast: 20+
I'm signing up for I Eat Easy for Breakfast, because, yeah, over 160 books! I read that in about 4 months, give or take, so I can definitely read 20 in a year! What about you guys? Happy reading!