Saturday, January 24, 2015

Week 4 Reviews: Unfinished, Unstrung


From Goodreads
In a world where genetically-engineered humans serve as slave labor to "real" humans, ten-year-old Quinn is an anomaly. Designed with superior intelligence and physical attributes, he lives and trains at Maren DeGaul's lakeside mansion, being readied for some mysterious purpose as dictated by Precipice Corporation. Despite the comfortable surroundings, Quinn is frequently pushed to his limits by his human guardians, often learning lessons in pain and loneliness.

That all changes the day they introduce him to a new artificial, one who is both his equal and his soul-mate. But when Maren decides the new artificial is flawed and should be decommissioned, it's up to Quinn to find a way to save his only friend.

From Goodreads:
Lexa Pate, seventeen-year-old thief extraordinaire, has burned a bridge or two in her life. You don’t make a career out of stealing other people's property without making enemies. 

When a risky job goes from bad to worse, Lexa and her adopted family find themselves on Precipice Corporation’s hit list because they've accidentally stolen the wrong thing—plans for a new model of genetically-engineered super humans. Now every bounty hunter, cop on the take, and snitch in the city is after them.

Lexa's world crumbles around her as she fights to keep her family safe even as someone strolls out of her forgotten past. Quinn says he knows who Lexa really is, but can she trust a stranger she met while robbing his boss? 

More importantly, does she really want to know what Quinn has to tell her?

Based on the fairy tale Pinocchio, UNSTRUNG takes you into a near future world where the lines between fake and real are blurred, all that’s pristine isn't always innocent, and being a criminal isn't always wrong.

My Review:
I enjoyed both of these so much! I actually read Unstrung first, but I firmly believe that is the way that it should be read, because then Quinn, and the twist about Lexa, aren't out there first. Unfinished might be chronologically first, but Unstrung should be read first! They complete each other!

I was really excited to read Unstrung, I've really loved Kendra C. Highley's Matt Archer series, so yeah, I went into this book with high hopes, and I wasn't disappointed! In fact, afterwards, I hung around her blog, and found about Unfinished, and I immediately read it afterwards! I wanted to spend more time in the world!

I enjoyed reading about these, and that twist about Lexa, well, it makes sense. She and Quinn make a good pair, and I enjoyed their one job together, they work together well as a team, as they were supposed to, and I was glad that they got to use that against the bad guys!

I've read that the 2nd book is dealing with the unfair treatment that the genetically-engineered humans face, which is a good thing, because otherwise, I really couldn't see who the bad guy would be, they're all pretty much dealt with in this book! But those attitudes are something to deal with!

These were a really great beginning to the series, and I'm so excited to read more!

Author: Kendra C. Highley
Series: Unstrung #0.1, 1
Read: January 19th, 2015
Source: Free, E-Books For Review Review Copy
Reason Why: Loved her Matt Archer series, and they're 2015 Dystopia Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2015 Books!
Publisher: Self Published
Published: October 17th 2014, December 20th 2014

Unfinished:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









Unstrung:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!